The Past Is Real

The two women in front of the child were chatting away, completely oblivious that the child was awake. The child had stayed motionless, wanting to listen in on any adult topics that they were discussing. The room was lit by candles due to the fact that the power had been cut.

One of the women had chestnut brown hair and equally as soft eyes with an all around gentle look about her.

The other woman, however, was made up of all planes and angles, black hair and grey eyes.

“Lidley, don’t worry about him okay? He’s nothing,” the woman with black hair had said, placing her hand gently over the other woman’s.

The woman, Lidley, nodded and looked down, “But I feel so guilty. Guilty because I cheated on my mate and guilty because I don’t love the man I cheated with.”

“The past is behind you now. You have a beautiful son to worry about,” the woman smiled in the direction of the child. Lidely looked at her son and let a smile creep across his face.

“And to think your little one will be alpha some day, Lorna.”

Lorna bursts into a radiant grin, “It doesn’t bare thinking of. My little Jett.”

“Is he staying Benjamin tonight?” Lidley asked and Lorna nodded in response.

"Yeah, thought we'd have a little girls night in."

"If you had told me that I would have left Sam with Riley!"

"Ah no. An atmosphere isn't complete without a youthful essence." 

The sound of a large bang outside alarmed the two women. They stood up and looked to where the noise had come from.

“I’m going to check...” Lorna starts.

“Me too.”

As soon as they’re out of the room the child sat up, looking after them. Where had they gone? Would they be back? All these thoughts swarmed through his head.

He spotted one of the candles in the room. Intrigued, he made his way over. He held his finger tips over the flame, watching it lick his skin.

“Sam!” the sound of his mothers sharp voice made him jump. Lidley made her way over to her son quickly and picked him up, kissing his forehead.

“Lidley? We’ve got a rogue!” Lorna’s voice comes from the kitchen. Lidley looks at her son, holding the back of his head with her soft hand.

“Baby, we’re going to play hide and seek, okay? Don’t come out unless I call your name.”

He nodded in understanding and Lidley let him down. Sam immediately ran towards the cupboard under the stairs. She quickly joined Lorna outside who had shifted into her wolf form to scan the area. Lidley stayed in her human, being more capable of calling for help. The night was still except for the crunch of gravel under Lorna’s paws. The slam of a door made them both turn back towards the house.

The rogue was in the house.

Lorna and Lidley immediately ran back, clawing at the door seeking entrance. Lidleys heart was pounding at the thoughts of a partially mad and rogue wolf in the house with her son. Lorna finally smashes a hole through the glass door and proceeded to make an opening before bounding in. Lidley stopped in her tracks when she saw a dark figure whose face was masked by the candles shadows.