Part 38

Epilogue

She trailed her fingers across her neck, smiling when she felt the small bumps there.  The mark had healed, but forever, those small marks would be a reminder of the biggest decision of her life.  Charlie shook her head with a laugh.  As if she needed a reminder.

Arms wrapped around her from behind, making her let out a sigh and lean further back into him.  “What are you thinking about?” Zeke whispered in her ear.

Smiling up at him, she pressed a kiss to his chin.  “Find out for yourself.”

She closed her eyes as his mind brushed hers.  Every time he delved into her thoughts, every time he spoke to her mentally, she felt a sense of relief.  They had both been afraid that they would never be able to speak to one another like this, as mated couples should.  They had no reason to worry.  After the mating ritual, they were even more connected than.  Not only could she speak to him, but also she could feel his emotions.  She could tell when he was hurt.  Everything was as it should be, and she couldn’t be happier.

“Hmm, maybe later,” he whispered into her ear, “right now, your mom is staring.”

Charlie glanced up, narrowing her eyes at her family.  They all waved with happy expressions on their faces.  She was still angry with them.  When Zeke and she had first returned from the devastation they left behind, Charlie was worried there would be another fight at her home.  How would they all react when they found out that she was going against the pact, that she was going to marry who she wanted without worrying about their codes of violence? 

When they had first arrived, they were welcomed with open arms.  Her mother had laughed, telling Charlie that everything ended as it should have.  There was no other man.  Charlie had been promised to no one, but she was led to think that she was.  It seemed that Zeke’s mother wasn’t the only one that messed with their children’s life.  

There were only small regrets.  For one, Charlie could only visit her family.  With her hands stained with another’s blood, she could no longer live in her village.  It was one part of the law that Charlie hated but had to accept.  She had known when she killed Marcus, when she had killed the other shifter that her life would be like this.  It didn’t matter.  At one point in her life, she had thought she could not live anywhere else.  Now, she realized that it didn’t matter where she lived.

“Charlie!” Ryder called out.  “Hurry up.  We only have you here for another hour before you leave.”

Charlie looked up at Zeke again, noting the smile on his face.  “Are you ready to go back home?”

“It’s been two weeks,” he mumbled.  “I miss them.”

“I’m sure they miss you too.”

Zeke laughed.  “I didn’t know they had such range.  Usually shifters can’t project thoughts from this far away.”  He sobered.  “It scares me, the power they have.”

Turning, she reached up and smoothed the crease between his eyebrows.  “Don’t worry about it for now.  We’ll be back soon.”

“You’re right,” he said with a chuckle.  “Come on; let’s go to your family before they come to us.”

She laughed, letting him drag her towards her family.  As they bombarded them with well wishes and made them promise to return, Charlie smiled.  This was her life, and she wouldn’t change a thing.

***Major thanks to nickinick99 for the amazing cover on the side!  Also, thanks for reading!  I hope you all enjoyed...Next book in the series is already complete!  Title is Adam's Pulse***