Part 22

Chapter 22

Charlie leveled the gun on Zeke’s mother as the woman handed him over to Peyton.  Her hand didn’t shake as she thought it would, and her mind was already made up.  It didn’t matter that Carrie was Zeke’s mom.  If the woman was trying to cause him harm, Charlie would do anything in her power to keep it from happening.  Even if it went against everything she had ever learned, even if she promised not to result to violence unless it was the last possible choice.

“What did you do to him?”

Carrie looked towards her, a small smile playing on the woman’s lips.  “You don’t understand what is happening right now, Charlie, but you will soon.  For now, put the gun down.”

“No,” Charlie mumbled, resting her finger on the trigger.  “Tell me what you did to Zeke before I shot.”

Laughter escaped the woman’s mouth, but slowly died down when Charlie’s expression didn’t change.  “He’s my son.  I love Zeke more than anything in this world, and I can’t let him be in the middle of this fight.”

The hand holding the gun began to fall, but when Carrie jerked forward, Charlie tilted it right a little before shooting next to the woman’s foot.  “Don’t move,” Charlie growled, feeling her cat claw to the surface.  She was on edge, not liking that Zeke was helpless.  “When the Queen of Leopards finds out what you have done—”

“Ally is the one who told me to do it.”

“No,” Charlie whispered.  Her anger started to melt away, only to be replaced by complete confusion.  What was happening here?  Why would Ally do something so cruel to someone she claimed to love.

Carrie bent down and brushed the hair from her son’s face.  Complete adoration bloomed in her eyes.  “Zeke’s special, everyone knows that, but the boy had to get it from somewhere.  Me, I have power, more than I should, but his father was worse.  If the man wasn’t poisoned by his own mind, he would have been indestructible.”

“Zeke killed him.”  Charlie said the words she was thinking, making Carrie glance up at her with tear filled eyes.

“He was my mate, and that made me blind for many years, but once I saw what he planned, I had to get my children away.  I succeeded too, but Kris went back to him.  She loved the power, loved the rush it gave her, but it was too much for her.  I don’t want that for Zeke.  If he finds out how this war will end, if he sees what will happen next, he will die.”

“You don’t know that,” she protested, letting the gun fall completely to her side.  As she did, warm fingers cover hers, peeling it from her grip.  Blinking, she looked at Peyton, not realizing that the man had left Zeke’s side.  “How are you mixed up into all this?”

“Simple,” Peyton mumbled, his mouth twitching in a smile.  “I love my people, but they’re corrupt.  By helping Ally, we fight for what is right.”

“And this is right?” Charlie asked, motioning towards Zeke. 

Peyton shrugged, before looking at the man lying, asleep on the forest floor.  “He’ll be asleep for a day at most, and by the time he wakes, we’ll be away from here.  We can’t let him die, Charlie.  I know, deep down, you feel the same.”

Her eyes closed.  It was true; she cared for the man, even if she should not.  Still, they were giving her no answers, telling her nothing that would help her understand the situation she was in.  A hand touched her cheek, making her eyes snap open.  Staring into Carrie’s bright blue eyes, Charlie felt tears well up in her eyes. 

“Marcus,” Carrie said in a light tone, “he started this all.  He pretended to be a father to the Queen while plotting her death.  If Zeke knew this, he would go after the man.  He would hunt him down for not only lying to him, but for wishing Ally harm.  He’ll die if he tries.  I’ve seen it.  No matter how many times he tries to fight them all, a bullet stops more than claws.”

“He would know if a bullet was coming,” Charlie said, jerking away from the woman.

Carrie shook her head, sadness fleeting over her features before disappearing.  “He would if it were not for you.”

“Me.”  She heard the truthfulness in Carrie’s words, somehow knew that the woman was telling the truth.  “I get him killed.  That’s it, isn’t it?  While he’s around me, he’s vulnerable.”

Peyton took a step towards her, but she stepped back again. “Charlie,” he mumbled, his permanent smile no longer on his face.

“No,” she yelled, pushing passed them to stand above Zeke.  “It’ll be my fault.”  She closed her mouth, while taking deep breaths through her nose.  “There is only one way,” she mumbled, turning clouded eyes towards the others.  “I have to leave.”

Carrie was shaking her head before the words even left Charlie’s mouth.  “You can’t; he needs you.”

“To make him vulnerable?” she said.  The harsh laugh that escaped her mouth echoed through the trees, leaving nothing but a sense of dread in the forest.

“Stop,” Carrie snapped.  Even with her eyes narrowed, it was easy to see the blue glow.  “Quit acting like this.  You think you’re strong enough for this fight; then prove it.”

Her back straightened.  Charlie was strong enough.  Now that she had found something worth fighting for, she was strong enough to do anything to help Zeke.  “How?”

“Simple,” Peyton said, his smile forming on his lips once more.  “Break your pact.”

“No,” she whispered, closing her eyes.  “Anything but that.”

“For now,” Carrie said, her voice a soft murmur, “I just need you to take Zeke to your home.  Hide him there, and protect him.  We’ll deal with your pact later.”

Charlie looked down at Zeke with a sigh.  Her people wouldn’t like it.  They didn’t welcome outsiders, not even the Queen’s second.  There would be hell to pay when she showed up on the edge of their territory with him in hand.  Feeling someone watching her, she glanced up, catching eyes with Peyton.

“Now,” he drawled, “don’t you worry; I’m coming along with you.”

“That’s what I was afraid of,” she mumbled.  It was true.  Bringing Zeke back to her home was bad enough, what would happen when she showed up with Peyton, an even bigger outsider?  She shrugged.  The only way to find out was to go home; she just hoped that they would greet her with open arms, no matter how blood stained her hands were.