Part 6

Chapter 6

“They’ll never guess.”

“Who would think they were that stupid?”

“Kill them before they leave the vehicle?  No, wait for them.”

Charlie touched his arm, clearing the voices from the shifters outside of their Jeep.  He tugged his arm away from her, and they came rushing back, making him feel in control again.  Pain echoed behind his eyes, but it was a small price to pay to be prepared.

“Do not touch me,” he whispered.  “While we are out here, do not touch me.”

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled.  “I was trying to get your attention.  You looked like you were in pain; are you okay?”

He looked like he was in pain, because he was.  Trying to listen to all of them at once was not an easy task, but he had no choice.  He needed to find the one who controlled the group, kill them, and then see how the others reacted.  He would hate to have to kill them all.

Glancing over at Charlie, he let out a sigh.  “Here is the thing, they plan to kill us.  Ally’s little riot is filled with a crew that still does not like how she runs things.”

“What do you mean?”

“All the other leaders had regular leopards in high command.  Tell me, who does Ally have besides a band of freaks?” 

His hand pulled open his door before she could say a word.  It was better that way.  Let her see what others would think of her, let her see how hard life would be for her, and then, maybe she would leave, forget about some pact she had with another. 

As soon as his feet touched the ground, he felt his teeth elongate.  It had been a while since he had the chance to fight with anyone other than his guards or Ally.  With them, he had to be careful, had to make sure that he didn’t kill them.  Out here, nothing was stopping him, except, maybe the fact that he was second in command now, not the enforcer.  The second had to think politics, while the enforcer had to hand out punishments.

He felt more than saw Charlie settle beside him.  The unease rolling off her body made him want to sigh in frustration.  These shifters couldn’t see a weakness with the two of them.  As soon as they did, they would use it to destroy them.  Right now, Charlie was that only weakness.  Reaching behind him, he pulled the gun from the small of his back. 

“Here,” he said, pushing it toward her.  “They’re silver bullets.  If anyone gets close to you, shoot them.”

“Zeke,” she started, but when he cut his eyes to her, she snapped her mouth closed. 

Turning back towards the leopards in front of him, he smiled.  It wasn’t a pleasant smile; he knew that because a couple of the people took a step away from him.  “Who put this little group of idiots together?”

One woman glared at him.  “We are not idiots.”

“Could have fooled me,” he said.  Tilting his head to the side, he read her mind.  “How is your daughter?  Do you think hiding her in your little underground cubby will keep her from me?”

The woman’s face paled, and she shook her head.  “Don’t do anything to my daughter.  I’ll tell you anything you need to know, just leave my baby girl out of this.”

Zeke nodded at her.  Little did the woman know that he didn’t kill children.  Women, who would hurt Ally, consider them dead, but children, that was crossing the line in his mind.  “Tell me who put this riot together, and I’ll leave your family alone.”