Part 30

Chapter 30

“He has a lot of nerve,” she growled under her breath.

Her mother smiled at her before shaking her head.  “You’re his mate, Charlie.  The sooner you accept that fact, the easier it will be for everyone.”

“The pact—”

“Forget about the pact,” Ryder interrupted.  “It won’t make you happy; Zeke will.”

“Plus,” her mother added with a large smile, “if the determined expression on the man’s face means anything, he’s making sure that your pact no longer gets in the way.”

Charlie glanced over her shoulder and groaned when she saw Zeke stop in front of one of the elders.  “I’ll be back,” she mumbled, before jogging towards them.

“Bye, honey!” her mother called out.  “I expect a visit every now and then.”

“See you, sis!” Ryder called out.  “Unlike mom, I don’t care if you visit.”

She made a gesture towards her brother that made her mother gasp, and Ryder burst into laughter.  It didn’t matter if her mother didn’t approve, seeing as it was the last she would see of them for a while.  She didn’t know how long she would stay gone, but she knew she would be back.  This was her home; she couldn’t forget about it for good.  Sure, Zeke may be able to convince her to live elsewhere, but she would never be able to stay away permanently. 

“You do not understand!”

The shout brought her out of her thoughts, but also made her want to groan.  Could Zeke ever do anything the easy way?  She shrugged.  Most likely not, but it was another thing she loved about him.  She froze, making someone bump into her from behind.  Love, it was a word that made her want to run in the forest and never return.  She couldn’t love him.  She couldn’t want to be with him for the rest of her life.  Shaking her head in annoyance, she glared over her shoulder.  This was her mother’s fault.  If the woman had shut her mouth about mates and love, Charlie wouldn’t be having these thoughts.

“Charlie, Charlie!”  Jumping, she looked forward, into the smiling face of Sara.  “There you are.”

Charlie attempted a smile and knew it fell flat.  Looking passed the woman, her stomach dropped.  “Where’s Zeke?”

“That very fine specimen told me to keep you occupied while he took care of some business.”  The woman licked her lips, her eyes going a little dreamy. 

Charlie could feel her teeth elongating as the urge to stake her claim rose.  “My very fine specimen.”

“Honey,” Sara purred, “you have to catch him before you can claim him.”

Reaching forward, Charlie gripped the woman’s collar.  “He is mine.”

As soon as the words left her mouth, her back hit the ground.  Air whooshed from her stomach, leaving her gasping.  Sara’s face came into view, but the victorious expression Charlie thought she would have on her face was not there.  Instead, the woman winced.  “Look, I didn’t mean to do that.  I just have this thing about being touched, you know?”  Sara held out her hand, and when Charlie did not take it, Sara jerked it about.  “Come on, we don’t have all day.”

Rolling to her side, Charlie ignored the offer and jumped to her feet with a glare.  “Look,” Charlie growled, “I don’t care who you are, or what claim you think you have on Zeke.  I will fight for him, no matter how hard you try to win him over.”

“You’ll fight for him?”

Charlie nodded, ignoring the woman’s smile.  “He’s mine.  That is something that I never thought I would experience.  There is no way that I’m letting you ruin that over some school girl crush.”

Sara reached out, making Charlie tense.  When the woman pulled her into a hug instead of throwing her to the ground again, Charlie frowned.

“Welcome to the family,” Sara mumbled.

Charlie pushed back a little, the frown still on her face.  “You don’t really like him, do you?”

A chuckle escaped Sara’s mouth.  Charlie watched in awe as the woman’s face lit up in humor. Without laughter in her eyes, the woman was beautiful, but with the laughter, she was stunning.  “Never; no offence to you, but Zeke is more big brother in my eyes.”

“None taken,” Charlie mumbled.  Gesturing to the spot where Sara threw her to the ground, Charlie let her confusion show.  “Then what was that about?”

Sara shrugged as if what had just happened was an everyday experience.  As far as Charlie knew, it was for the woman.  “I needed to make sure you would fight for him.  There are things that neither of you know. I wanted proof that you would do anything in your power to help him, even if your enemy is stronger than you.”

“I care for him,” Charlie mumbled.  “Why wouldn’t I help?”

Another laugh escaped Sara.  “Care for him,” she echoed. “That is hilarious.  You love the man, and you know it.  Plus, there was another reason for that little exchange.”

“Which is,” an angry voice growled from behind her.

Charlie glanced over her shoulder and smiled when she saw Zeke.  Just as soon as the smile formed, it dropped.  How much had he heard?  Did he hear Sara say that Charlie loved him?  She shook her head.  Even if he did, the words never left Charlie’s mouth.  She could deny it until later, until she gained the courage to tell him herself.

Sara hissed under her breath, the sound completely leopard like.  “Did you forget our laws?” she asked, keeping her ground when Zeke sauntered towards her.

“I’m second in command.  I know our laws better than you.”

“If you did,” Sara said, poking him in the chest, “then you would remember one very important mating law.”

Charlie wished she could see Zeke’s face, but by the way the man relaxed and took a step back, she knew that he had accepted Sara’s words.  “Shit,” he mumbled.  “I forgot.”

“Forgot what?” Charlie asked, feeling once again out of the loop.

Sara looked towards Charlie with a blank expression.  “When you mate, the male is supposed to fight one of your family members to prove that he is worthy.  The same goes for the female.”

“You mean I have to fight Ally?”

“She would do it too, just to get back at me for fighting Sebastian,” Zeke grumbled before turning towards Charlie.  He brushed his hand over his head before frowning at her.  “You’re not going to fight her.”

Taking a page out of Sara’s book, Charlie poked him in the chest.  “You can’t tell me what to do.”

Zeke grabbed the hand that was hitting him in the chest.  “I can, and I did.  You’re not fighting Ally.”

“Guys,” Sara said, “I hate to break up this very entertaining show, but our ride is here.”

Charlie glanced over at the vehicle that was parked nearby.  When it had arrived, Charlie hadn’t a clue, but the thing was amazing.  The sleek, black, sports car practically purred as it sat there, waiting for them to enter it.  Sara walked towards it, before slipping into the driver’s seat.  A frown flew onto Charlie’s face.  “Where is the driver?”

“Probably jumped to the passenger’s seat, Sara always drives.”

He tugged her towards the vehicle, but before she entered, she glared at him.  “This conversation is not over. If I want to fight for you, I will.”

A smile formed on his lips as he ran a finger across her cheekbone.  “Don’t you get it?  Sara fought you already.  She saved me from having to pick a fight with Ally.”

“Why would you fight Ally?”

He shrugged.  “Because I won’t let her hurt the woman who is my mate.”

Jumping into the car, he didn’t give her a chance to reply.  She let out a deep sigh as she entered the vehicle.  As soon as this mess was over, she would tell him that she loved him.  If he felt the same, she would happily mate with him.  If not, she would return home, even if it broke her heart.