XIII - Closeted? I Think Not

Cindy's mom was a kind, slightly obese woman with singular strands of silver in her hair. She usually wore loose tops and jeans and her dry hair in a low ponytail. Cindy was an only child and her father walked out on them before she was even born, her father broke her heart before any boy could; so her mom had to do everything on her own. Her mother was a hard worker and I respect her for that, especially since Cindy really grew up so well.

I sat on their small sofa with one of Cindy's hoodies on and a blanket over my bare legs. Her mom was in their kitchen making hot chocolate for me and Cindy. "What happened?" She looked at me in pity.

"Don't look at me like that," I pouted angrily, crossing my arms at my chest.

"Okay okay, sorry. What's wrong? Why have you come running to my house half naked?"

"I accidentally came out to my dad."

"What?"

"I'm such an idiot," I dropped my head into my hands, "I'll just tell him I was kidding."

"No no no, what did you tell your dad?"

"I told him I'm a lesbian you oblivious cunt!" I hissed.

"Whoa okay, calm down," she held her hands up in surrender, "how did he react?"

"I have no idea. I ran for my life," I explained. I looked at Cindy and I couldn't help myself. I started crying but quickly hid my face in the sleeves of the hoodie. She hugged me and I cried on her shoulder. She stroked my back trying to calm me down but I couldn't stop crying. This wasn't even about Keri anymore. I don't know how my parents will take it. I don't know if they are homophobic. But I do know that I'm really scared now. My family might not love me anymore because I'm gay and I really don't want to face them. I'm scared that they will disown me and I have had enough pretending I don't care what my parents think because I really do care.

By now Cindy's mom had come back and she asked what was wrong. When I calmed down I didn't lift my eyesight from my hands. I told her that I got into an argument with my parents and I asked if I could stay the night here. I was allowed so me and Cindy took our hot chocolates upstairs to her room. I sat on her bed and told her a little bit about how I wasn't sure whether my parents would accept me. She gave me another long hug and suggested we watched Moana. I smiled in agreement so we sat on her bed and put her laptop on the other end and watched Moana.

When that movie finished, we watched Trolls and after that, Sing. We started watching The BFG after that but we both fell asleep during it.

~~~

I woke up violently when I remembered where I was. Cindy wasn't here, she was probably downstairs cooking bacon since she loves it so much. I looked around and rubbed my eyes as if that would transport me to Keri's side. I sighed and rolled over, resulting in me falling off Cindy's bed. I landed with a thud on my chest. I wheezed a little and groaned in pain. I lay there on the carpet until Cindy ran up to check on me. At first she screamed but then she yelled at me when she realised I was alive.

"You're an idiot. Get up!" She growled and pulled me up on my feet. We went downstairs to eat breakfast that Cindy made and we decided it would be a good idea if Cindy went home with me.

We walked to my house after we ate and my dad opened the door. He looked at me and was clearly not very happy. "Cindy, I think it would be best if you went home. We have some things we need to discuss."

"Um, okay Mr Oh. See you tomorrow," she went home and I went inside my house.

"Why do you think it's okay for you to run away like that?" Dad glared at me.

"I don't."

"I saw you go to Cindy's house so I wasn't worried. But you drop a bomb on me like that and just run away? Maia what were you thinking. You silly little girl, you think you know the world but you really don't. Look at me when I'm talking to you!" He yelled, causing me to flinch, "you think you're tough but you run away at the first sign of trouble. I said look at me when I'm talking to you! Stop pissing me off. I'm very angry at you. You didn't go to school today and because of you, Cindy didn't go to school either. In fact, angry doesn't begin to describe how I feel right now. Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

At first I just looked at my dad guiltily. I sighed but then I turned it into a deep breath. "Yes. I do have something to say. I am a lesbian, and I didn't mean to come out like I did but it just seemed like the perfect answer to the question you asked. Nevertheless, I spent a lot of last night worrying how you would take it because I don't know how you are about the whole LGBT community, especially being Asian and all. Please don't interrupt me," I quickly said when I saw Dad opening his mouth.

"Mom seems pretty open but I don't know about you. And you must realise that it was very difficult for me to come back home after that because I was so scared. I know what happens to gay people around the world and I had no idea how you would react. I was really scared," my voice cracked a little as I felt tears coming. I put my face in my hands and started sobbing a little. Dad quickly put his arms around me and hugged me, stroking my hair.

We stayed like that until I broke away and my dad looked at me. "Let's just have a calm movie day. We can watch LGBT films to educate me a little," he chuckled and looked at me again. I smiled and I went to pick a movie while Dad went to make popcorn.