IX - Fountains and Fun

"There's a party tomorrow," Keri chimed as she sat on the edge of the fountain with her feet in the water.

"There is?" I looked at her, "whose party is it?"

"Marina's."

"How do you know? I swear she hates you."

"I never said I'm invited. And, she may not like me but she's popular and a party organised by a popular girl is going to be the talk of the school until the next party or school scandal."

"True," I nodded. It was the last day of the week and we had gone to the recreation park with the fountain after school to relax and think after soccer and cheerleading practice. Keri was wearing a black mini a-line skirt with a dark green oversized sweater tucked into it. She looked so cute. I was wearing a long sleeved red and black crop top and black leather-looking skater skirt. I never wear skirts to school. I had taken off my thigh high black socks and black converses and she had taken off her translucent black tights and black vans.

"Maia, have you heard, everyone's suspecting that you have a crush on someone," Keri swished her feet in the water.

"What?" I blurted out.

"Because you're starting to make an effort in how you dress to school."

"Why is that such a big deal?" I groaned.

"Well you're popular, so you get talked about. That's the price to pay," she said as-a-matter-of-factly, glancing at me.

"Well, is it a bad thing that someone wants to look good just because? No, it isn't. Maybe I realised overnight what a failure I am so dressing well is the first step forward," I ranted to the park but then I paused and looked at Keri, "who does everyone think I have a crush on?"

"At the moment, people are observing who you spend time with and act around everyone."

"Why does anyone even care if I like someone?"

"Well people do get jealous." She looked smirked and looked away from me, "the trees look nice today."

"What a change of subject," I chuckled and watched her as she looked around in awe. She's so beautiful. Then she sneezed and I blessed her before scooping up water in my palm and catapulting it at Keri. She let out a quick loud scream and looked at me with shock on her face, paralysed. "You bitch!" She yelled and splashed me back. Now it was my turn to paralyse with shock however it soon turned into a water fight.

We kept splashing each other and as we did we kept figuring out better techniques for splashing, covering our faces, keeping our clothes dry. "Stop stop stop!" Keri pleaded and then wiped her eyes as I stood watching her. Suddenly, without warning, she splashed me with water so I threw myself at her and we both fell into the water. I started to tickle her as she tried to keep her head above the water. Then I showed her mercy and got off of her and sat next to her as she sat up, "you are merciless!" She laughed, still gasping for air, "no wonder you're a jock!" She held her hand on her chest to create a more dramatic effect. I laughed and was actually glad that she didn't get pissed because for a second I thought she would be. And for that I appreciate her even more.

We stood up after Keri got to herself and she shoved me back in the water. I quickly got up only to realise she made a run for it. I looked around and saw her running towards a tree. I ran after her and saw that she climbed the tree. I climbed it too but she climbed it higher. She climbed a little higher but when she went to grab a branch, it snapped. I gasped and almost screamed but she caught herself. "Keri get down, you're gonna hurt yourself!" I yelled to her. She nodded and started climbing down, I did too. When her first foot touched the grass I grabbed her waist and tackled her to the ground. She lay on the ground and I hovered over her, holding myself up with my elbows, "don't scare me like that again. Okay?" I panted and stared at her lips. God I really wanted to kiss her.