Shattered

(A/N: Next chapter is finally up! Enjoy!)

The rest of the day went by smoothly and at 6 that evening Hermione closed for the day. She was both mentally and physically drained from the work and stress that she was enduring.

She apparated to the alley behind her flat building and sluggishly walked up the steps. She reached her floor and unlocked the door and went in quickly closing it behind her. She pretty much threw her things to the floor and flopped onto her couch with a heavy sigh.

"Long day?"

Hermione jolted up with an earsplitting scream, pulling out her wand from her back pocket and pointing it straight in the face of her intruder.

Draco sat at her kitchen table with his hands raised in surrender and an eyebrow up in question. She stared at him, completely baffled.

"How the bloody hell did you get in my flat?!"

"You don't have very good security, Granger. It wasn't very difficult."

'Well if it was so easy to get in then it will be just as easy to get out!" She flailed her arms around and gestured to her door.

He blatantly ignored her.

"I made tea." He said, indicating to the two steaming tea cups.

Hermione was far to suspicious of him and most certainly did not want to drink the tea he had made. Given the things he had done to her just a day before she still didn't trust him.

Draco sighed, "It isn't bloody poisoned Hermione."

Cautiously Hermione moved towards the table with her wand still raised and took a seat across from him.

He gently pushed the tea towards her. She looked up into his eyes and almost gasped. His beautiful grey eyes were not harsh or cold as she was used to. Instead they seemed warm and welcoming and almost.... sad. She could see the pain behind them and for that reason she felt all the hostility fade away.

She picked up the cup and took a long sip and sighed in content.

"I needed this." She said, smiling at him. "Thank you."

He shook his head, "Sure."

They sat in silence just drinking their tea when finally Hermione broke the silence.

"Why are you here Malfoy?"

Draco stared into the bottom of his cup and did not look up and meet her eyes.

"I wanted to ask you what would be appropriate attire to wear tomorrow."

He said it so quietly Hermione strained to hear him.

Confused she said, "Couldn't you have just sent an owl?"

Suddenly Draco was angry; "Well," he started, raising from his seat, "I'm sorry for trying to have better fucking communication with you Granger. Seeing as you invited me to come work for you."

"Excuse me?!" Hermione rose from her chair too. "How in any way, shape, or form is this my fault? You brought this on yourself Malfoy! I could have gone to the bloody Ministry and turned your sorry arse in but I didn't. Instead I gave you a choice. You nearly killed me! How dare you stand here-"

Her speech was cut off when Malfoy grabbed one of the tea cups and threw it across the room in fury. It smashed against the wall and shattered, the shards flying around the room.

Dumbfounded, Hermione stood there in astonishment. She listened to Draco's heavy breathing, waiting, watching to see if he was ready to shatter her as he had the tea cup.

But instead he did something that nearly took her breath away. He walked over to the mess he created and began to pick up the pieces. He was hunched over, careful not to have his knees touch the ground in case of small shards.

Completely struck, Hermione just watched as he finished picking up the mess. She hadn't moved an inch for she was scared if she did he would know she was still there and he would pounce.

He stood and walked towards her. She couldn't help the few fearful steps she took away from him. But she did raise her eyes to meet his.

They were blank. The grey was dull and lifeless.

"Where's your rubbish bin?" He said softly.

"U-under the sink."

He threw the shards away and grabbed his coat from the back of the chair he was seated at. He turned towards Hermione, "Sorry."

Hermione nodded numbly.

He started for the door and was just about to leave before Hermione spoke.

"Be at the store a bit early tomorrow, Malfoy."

He turned, shock evident on his face, but then nodded and exited her flat soundlessly.