Depression Overview

Depression is a brain disorder that can cause many symptoms that affect every day life. Changes in mood, abnormalities in sleeping habits, changes in appetite, loss of concentration, changes in weight, and thoughts of self-harm or suicide are the most common side effects. However, you do not need to display all of the symptoms to have depression! In fact, I do not have many of these side effects. 

Again, this is a very common condition. You should not feel ashamed if you have depression. 

Common treatment plans include the use of medication, counseling, (both group and individual), and many different types of therapy. (See the therapy and medication chapter for more details). 

I would recommend talking to someone if you believe you have depression, especially if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts. Do not be ashamed. Take this step by step plan to get help.

Step One: Talk to a trusted parent, spouse, guardian, or individual. 

Conversation Starters: 

"I need to talk to you. I think I have depression."

"Can you help me? You see, I've not been feeling my best lately......"

"{Name}, have you noticed anything different about me? I have, ....." 

Step Two: Schedule an appointment with a doctor and/or a counselor. Take advantage of school doctors and counselors if available. They will be able to help you that day! 

Step Three: Follow through with these friends and professionals. They can and will help you!

Note: If you are having suicidal thoughts right now, please call the National Suicide Hotline for immediate care. 1-800-273-8255