Chapter 3

I came home to the smell of steaks and mashed potatoes. The smell lingered until it reached my nose. I was starving because all I had all day was an apple and and salad. Not including the chocolate bar I stuffed down my throat in between third and fourth period.

"Is dad home?" I asked my stepmother, Elizabeth.

"No he's working late." She responded while she sets the table. Her response didn't surprise me. Dad always works late because he was working on a new case. He was our towns head police. He solves the crimes and captures the bad guys, like a superhero.

Elizabeth puts a plate of steak with mash potatoes into the microwave. I figured that she was going to eat with my dad when he comes home. She wasn't a bad person, she just wasn't my mom. She looked liked Clare with her blonde perfectly curled hair and visible makeup with her red lipstick. My mom, my real mom, was very simple. She had naturally golden brown hair like me and hardly ever put makeup on. She was an artist. She always liked to draw and paint pictures. We even had an art wall in the basement filled with her paintings. My favorite one was of Beauty and the Beast. I always liked that story even if it was unrealistic. It showed me that a person could love someone that didn't look like everyone else. But I know that it would never happen in the real world. And never to me.

As I went up to the dishwasher to grab myself a plate I heard a car honk outside my front door. I rolled my eyes because I knew exactly who's car honk that's for.

"Clare honey your friends are here to take you to the pep rally!" Elizabeth yells down the stairs for Clare.

In a matter or seconds I heard tiny little footsteps run down the stairs.

"Bye, I'll be home before midnight!" Clare says as she runs out the door in her tiny cheerleading uniform that could fit a five year old boy. I wasn't surprised that she left without eating dinner here. She goes out almost everyday of the week. Besides for school I hardly see her, not that I even want to. After seeing her twig like body I lost my appetite.

"I'm going to do my homework." I say to nobody as I drag my heavy body up the stairs. I pulled out my books from my backpack and hopped on my bed. I put my headphones in my ear putting on some music from my favorite band, All time low. I decided to put on my favorite song by them that describes my mood at the moment.

"My ship went down in a sea of sound

When I woke up alone, I had everything

A handful of moments, I wished I could change

And a tongue like a nightmare that cut like a blade

In a city of fools, I was careful and cool

But they tore me apart like a hurricane

A handful of moments, I wished I could change

But I was carried away

Give me therapy, I'm a walking travesty

But I'm smiling at everything

Therapy, you were never a friend to me

And you can keep all your misery

My lungs gave out as I faced the crowd

I think that keeping this up could be dangerous

I'm flesh and bone, I'm a rolling stone

And the experts say I'm delirious

Give me therapy, I'm a walking travesty

But I'm smiling at everything

Therapy, you were never a friend to me

You can take back your misery

Arrogant boy

Love yourself so no one has to

They're better off without you

Arrogant boy

'Cause a scene like you're supposed to

They'll fall asleep without you

You're lucky if your memory remains

Give me therapy, I'm a walking travesty

But I'm smiling at everything

Therapy, you were never a friend to me

You can take back your misery

Therapy, I'm a walking travesty

But I'm smiling at everything

Therapy, you were never a friend to me

And you can choke on your misery-"

My music was interrupted by somebody yanking my earphones out of my ear. "You could have knocked." I say to my other step sister, Izzy, who's the same age as me.

"I did, but you were playing your stupid music too loud to hear me." Her arms crossed against her chest.

"I wouldn't call it stupid if i was you. Not unless you want that social studies essay."

 She rolls her eyes. "Fine."

I rolled off my bed as it makes a loud cracking sound. I pretend to not hear it as I went to go get her essay out of my backpack. I notice Izzy staring at me from my every move.

"How does a bed hold up a weight like yours?" Skinny hisses. 

"What?" I snap at Izzy.

"You don't have to keep acting like that." She says.

"Act like what"?

"Act like you're better then everyone else, like you're smarter."

"Yes I am sooo much better then everyone else Izzy." I said sarcastically.

"Oh please Lydia, their you go feeling sorry for yourself again."

"I do not feel sorry for myself." I said raising my voice a little.

"Yes you do Lydia. You always feel like you're the only one with problems around here. I have problems of my own too but it doesn't mean I sit around eating my problems." She yelled.

"You think I asked to be like this? That I want to be like this?"

"Well obviously yes because if not you would do something about it. People loose weight all the time." She said as her yelling voice turns into a hush tone.

"It's not that easy. It just doesn't happen with a snap of a finger." I said feeling the urge to push her out the door.

"It is if you actually try. People also loose weight by surgery too you know?"

"Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I still don't know about things going on. And people die from those types of surgeries Izzy." I said angrily.

"Well its better then bein-" She said as her voice gets lower because she knows she took it too far.

"Get out Izzy." I said as I could feel the tears building up in my eyes.

"Lydia I-I didn't mean it."

"Yes you did now get out."

She pushed it to far this time and I wanted to hurt her back. And I knew exactly how.

"No wonder Clare's the popular one. You're just Clare Farell's little sister. And once she leaves for college you're just a nobody." As once as I said it regret filled my mouth.

"You know what Lydia, I did mean it." She spat followed by a slam from the door.

"Congratulations, You're fat and mean." 

↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠

picture of Izzy & the song on the side.

Thx for reading. ilyy xx