Chapter Fifty-five

Hey Guys long time no see. As promised; another chapter. This won't be the last chapter. There will be a few more to come after this.

Thank you all for waiting, I know it was excruciating. Enjoy!

××

"Damien?"

It felt weird saying the familiar word. The word that I thought I'd never hear again. And to see him feels like I've gone crazy. Maybe this is a dream.

I pinch myself but nothing happened. Nope this isn't a dream.

I remain in the same spot unable to move. Too stunned to move. I stared at him with a stunned look.

How is he even here?

It didn't take me long to connect the dots.

Damien killed my mum.

His eyes softened a bit before disappearing. A cold look overcame him.

Something beeped next to my bed. It was a phone. Not mine. But Damien's. He was too far away to reach it.

Immediately he jumped down and went to get it. He had the phone in his hand now.

I instantly raised the gun. "Please don't make me do this" I pleaded. My eyes had started to become blurry as I tried holding the tears at bay.

I remember watching the news or movies and the police always shoot the bad guys. And the bad guy always dies. I remember thinking why doesn't the police shoot them in the arm or leg. But now I know. They aren't trained to do so. To shoot someone in a specific area takes a lot of aim.

So it's highly unlikely for me as I've never handled a gun before. Well I have but never actually used it.

It was a risk. I wanted to shoot him for what he did to my mum. I needed him to feel a tiny bit of what I had felt when I found mum. But there's a 99.9% chance that I'll miss and he'd die. And then I'll have to live with the fact that I killed someone.

Which is exactly what Xavier warned me about.

"Go on. Do it" he challenged me. His mood changed. He was doing the Xavier act. Act all tough and the person won't shoot him.

I took a deep breath and aimed the gun. There was two thoughts going off in my head.

Shoot him.

Put the gun down.

Those two thoughts kept appearing in my head. I thought about what he'd done. He killed my mother.

I tried not to show any emotion. "You killed my mother" although pain cracked through my voice and a tear fell from my cheek.

His answer said it all. He didn't deny it. Instead he looked guilty.

This only meant that it was true, it was him. He's my mother's killer. From looking at Damien he's not who I remembered.

"Do it Avery. Kill me, I deserve it" He urged me with a pained look.

He looked like he was in excruciating pain and I had no idea why. He wanted me to kill him.

He wanted me to put him out of his misery.

But I didn't want to do that. I wanted to cause him pain not take him out of it.

A sinister look crossed his voice. "I killed your mother" He started inching towards me with a cold tone.

He was trying to get on my nerves. The urgency in his voice, he wanted to die badly.