Chapter Fifty-one

The night that I dreaded had finally arrived. I needed the answers that Xavier wanted yet I knew Duncan screamed trouble. Around him I didn't feel safe nor secure.

I took a deep breath trying to calm my nerves, he can't see that I'm freaking out because then he'd know why I was eager to go to his house.

I met Xavier at the door who he had an unreadable expression on. His deep lingering stare froze me in a trance and I knew he was trying to read me. I tried forcing on a blank expression, the last thing I wanted was for him to think I was scared.

"Phone?" He asked stretching out his hand.

Without much thought I passed my phone to him as he turned his back to me. I tried figuring out what he was doing, I became more suspicious when I heard a clicking sound.

Last time I checked, phones don't click.

He turned back around outstretching his arm to pass me my phone.

I gave him an uneasy look.

His features softened. "What is it?"

I knew he could see straight through a lie. "It's just, I feel like I'm walking into a lion's den and I may not come out alive"

We were inches apart and for some reason I felt safe near him. I felt like even though he had a malicious gang leader façade he wouldn't touch or hurt me. And that scared me because he had also made it clear the first day we met that he was capable.

He cupped the side of my face with his hand. "No one is going to lay a finger on you, not under my watch"

Although that seemed out of Xavier's control I trusted him. I only hoped that me trusting Xavier won't get me killed.

I took my phone and stepped away giving Xavier a last glance as I left the house.

As I drove to Duncan's house I couldn't help but feel uneasy. As each minute went by my mind kept ticking. Thoughts kept running through my mind and I felt some relief as I arrived at Duncan's house.

It's just a school project. Nothing else.

I knocked on the door plastering on a confident smile when he answered. We both went to his living room where I started to set up.

He sat down grabbing out his phone as I raised my eyebrow at him.

"I gave my laptop to my cousin so I have to use my phone" He reasoned himself.

I nodded before returning my gaze back to the project. I told myself to remain calm, it's just me overreacting to the small stuff.

××

It was half past five and we were almost finished. I'm glad to report nothing out of the ordinary happened.

I heard Duncan sigh. "My phones out, can I use yours?"

It wasn't weird for him to ask me because my phone sat on the bench as I wasn't using it.

I passed him my phone as he thanked me.

I instantly turned my head when I heard a clicking sounds.

The exact sound Xavier had made.

I knew this was bad.

"Hey!" I yelled out as I reached my phone.

His facial reaction changed. "That mother fucking asshole" I heard him curse.

I remained still as I watched his eyes turn to a shade of black as he let out a bitter laugh.

He held a tiny object in his hand as he shook his head. "A hearing device really?"