Three: Harris Burdick Rendition

(Archie Smith Boy Wonder)

"Is he the one?" "Is he the one?"Archie Smith twisted and turned for hours on end

"Is he the one?"
"Is he the one?"
Archie Smith twisted and turned for hours on end. The incessant whispering had not stopped since he came home from school hours ago. Again, he twisted the blankets tighter around his body, and hit a pillow against the side of his head. The more he tried to block out the whispers, the louder they became.
"Yes, he is."
"Yes, he is."
Archie was startled awake by the new voice. New words, new voice, but the first one still continued. "I must be going mad." He whispered to himself.
The whispers seemed to be getting closer, and Archie was trying to block them out the best he could, but they wouldn't stop.
"Is he the one?"
"Yes, he is."
Archie gave up on sleep, for the first time in all of his seventeen years of living. He decided to get up, walk around the house for a while. "Maybe if I'm distracted, I'll stop hearing it." He whispered out loud. He untangled himself from the blankets, and realized the window was open. Archie only shook his head and closed it, before walking out of the room to the kitchen.
"Is he the one?"
"Yes, he is."
"We need him now."
A new whisper joined the mix. Archie pulled at his hair, his heart rate slowly increased as he reached the kitchen. He opened a cabinet, and all whispers stopped, except one.
"We need him now."
It was one, one whisper. It stopped its repeat, and Archie's heartbeat increased to the highest he ever thought it would reach. After hours of the whispering, it stopped so suddenly.
Before Archie was able to breathe, something shot out at him. Then, there was nothing.
--
Archie Smith was a boy that needed to know what's going on at any given moment. In the moment that he woke up, he had no idea what was happening. People rushed past him, people that did not, under any circumstance, look normal. A man that was walking towards him, had skin with a pink tinge. Not a normal, healthy, sweaty-after-a-workout pink, but a neon pink from his head to his toes.
"Welcome, Archie Smith." was all the man said, as he wrote on a silver, metal clipboard.
"Who are you? Why am I here?" Archie was only able to get out those few words, but his head was swimming with more.
"Your questions will be answered in time. For now, are you hurt at all?" The man, who Archie presumed to be a doctor, seemed genuinely concerned. But Archie didn't, couldn't, believe him, nor trust him.
"No, I feel fine." Archie replied, trying not to seem scared or anxious. The doctor looked at skeptically, but continued to write. "Where am I?"
"Right now, you are in a hospital, as your dimension calls it." Archie felt his jaw hit the floor when he heard the doctor.
"D-Dimension?"
"Well, yes. An alternate reality." The man looked all too calm for Archie, who was internally stressing out beyond belief.
"H-How.." But Archie wasn't able to finish his question before the lights flickered and everything went black.
When the lights returned, no one was moving. The man talking to him was completely still. Archie couldn't move himself either. The lights flickered, and everyone began moving again.
"Is he the one?"
"Yes, he is."
The whispers started again.
"Excuse me? Do you hear that?" Archie asked the doctor, but he was ignored. He tried again, but the man with pink skin paid him no attention. "Can you hear me?" Archie tried shouting, but still the man kept writing.
Another man walked in, this one with his skin tinged purple. They spoke a different language, but definitely some variation of english, Archie decided. Their words were muffled, and the whispers continued, and a new one joined the mix.
"Is he the one?"
"Yes, he is."
"Save him."
The new one was more feminine than the others had been. Archie knew he wasn't hurt, or in trouble from what he could tell, so why "Save him."?
The men with colored skin pointed to Archie, nodded and left the room, leaving him more confused than ever. The lights flickered, and a new person appeared.
"I'll help you, but you need to wake up." The man whispered. He was familiar, but Archie had no recollection of ever meeting this man.
"What do you mean, wake up?" Archie asked.
"C'mon, Archie. Wake up, you have to do this." The man whispered, and the urgency in his tone worried Archie.
"I am! I am awake!" Archie shouted, but the man shook him vigorously. The lights flickered for a third time, and the man was gone. Archie looked around for someone, but no one was around. The whispers stopped, and a single one said something one more time.
"Wake up, Archie Smith."
Archie woke up moments later, back in his bed, with new pajamas on and the window open again. There was no more whispering, and Archie passed it all off as a weird dream.
The man that woke him up, still followed him discreetly throughout his life. All he needed was to make sure Archie would never be taken through dimensions again, at least not before he was ready to.