Chapter 23: A Regular Meds Run

"Runner Five, Dr. Meyers here," Her voice comes through my headset. "I um, well Sam's letting me use the booth for a while."

I nod as I get in position to run. While I usually would feel disappointed in hearing Sam isn't going to be with me on this mission, I feel a bit relieved since I accidentally told my whole 'staring' incident to Caleb. He's been teasing me and-although not brutally-his words always seem to echo in my mind when I hear the voice of the radio operator.

I don't have time for this. I have a mission to do, more than one mystery to solve and a secrets that I need to keep kept.

"No one else knows I'm here and if anyone asks this was just a regular meds run, okay?"

Add that to the list of secrets and lies.
God, forgive me.

"They'd probably call me crazy, anyway," She laughs airily. "Now, how does this go again? You'd think after these missions I'd remember... Um, raise the gates. Runner Five, ready?"

I crouch lower as a hand reaches up to shove the small slip of paper the doc gave me into my bag before grabbing its strap. The slight comfort in it helps settle my nerves as I see the zombies that are shuffling towards the gate.

No matter how many times I've seen, I still feel that slight bit of fear... but then I remember what Wes told me once.

"There are two things that keep a person alive: fear and hope."

"Covering fire... and go."

And off I go. Same as always.

Always being maybe two and a half months... I'm getting too comfortable if I think of it like that.

"I haven't even told any of the other people in the meds center what we're doing, because I know it's probably crazy to-but it's just possible. We could be about to save the world, Runner Five."

No pressure or anything. I think with a bitter laugh that only plays in my head. But that unnerving thought is better than the others that swirl in my head. For a split second I wonder what thoughts would be flowing through my teenage mind if the apocalypse never happened.

Probably about how my makeup looks or whether or not my dress is cute enough... When's the last time I wore makeup, or a dress? Will I get to do any of that after we find a vaccine?

I'm quick to correct myself.

If we find a vaccine...

The thought seems impossible, yet here I am, running toward some building in attempts to find one or how to make it.

They always believed there was a way to stop this, I muse. I was always the one who had the twinge of doubt, and yet I'm the one who's running around to save the world. What irony.

I reach grab a can of meat and nearly gag, remembering the taste of it a few nights ago. I've learned to like quite a bit of food that I didn't care for since the apocalypse, but whatever preserved animal that's been stuffed in this tin is an exception. I almost throw it away but I know it's either this or nothing.

The music stops coming through my headset with a sharp click, and Dr. Meyers starts speaking just as I reach the insides the city.