Chapter 28: Scouting Mission

My only question at the moment is...

God, why?

Seriously, I cannot comprehend why this happened. I mean, Sam's great and all-he has to be if I like him-but still I can't exactly comprehend how I started liking him.

I was always told love is a choice, and so is liking, so did I just tell myself I didn't while actually choosing to like him?

I'm too young for all this complicated crap.

But the worst part is I can't find any valid reason to not like him. He doesn't believe in God anymore, but he used to, and once saved always saved; He's never killed anyone, at least one that was actually alive, unlike me; And he's a pretty nice person from what I've seen over these past three months.

At least nothing has changed since this... realization.

"Runner Four, Runner Five, Runner Eight, are you ready?"

Except I want to slam my head against a wall every time I hear his voice because well, it's been over two years since I've had these feelings.

"We're ready," Sarah says.

"Ready," Jody pipes.

'Ready.'

"Do you like how I called you in number order there?" He laughs. "N-not that the numbers really mean anything, obviously. I mean-I mean, Five, you shouldn't image Runner Four as your boss and Runner Eight as your junior of something like that."

He does know my old running number was Forty-three, right?

Jody giggles. "Kind of the opposite, really."

"Hey, now we're all just people," Sarah snaps. "The Major's in charge."

I raise a brow at that. I've heard talk of this Major and I still have yet to meet her.

"If she comes back-"

"When she comes back," She states with confidence. "Chin up, Four."

"Do we even know where she's gone?"

'I don't even know who she is,' I sign, which Jody understands perfectly while Sarah raises a brow in confusion.

"I heard it was a meeting with a bunch of ex-military personal in the North," Sam cuts in. "You know, to try and coordinate strategy across the country; Something more long term than just survive 'till tomorrow, rinse, repeat.

"You're pretty well connected, Eight. Is that what you heard."

"I don't know anymore than anyone else," She answers, looking at the gates. I know exactly what she wants: the gates to open and Sam to not ask anymore questions.

"She does, you know," Jody mutters to me before Sam speaks.

"What's our mission today? That's what I bet you'd all like to know."

"We're dying to find out," Says Sarah with sarcasm dripping from her voice.

"Today we have," There's a pause for dramatic effect, "a scouting mission! Runners, ready?"

The two give out words of confirmation once more and I tap out an answer on my mic.

"Raise the gates!  Covering fire and... go!"

I run out the gates first, Sarah behind me and Jody behind her. Our steps are all in sync as we we run past the dead zombies. Jody scrunches up her nose in disgust at the zoms, with their rotting fleshing and less that pleasant smell. She pushes herself to pass Sarah and run by me.