Chapter 30: Ripping Out Chunks of My Heart

Chapter 30

"Are you ready?" Lola asked me over the phone.

I sighed, staring at myself in the mirror. I tried to go easy on the makeup, I only applied mascara, eyeliner, and lip balm but I can't help but feel like I need more. Deciding not to risk messing up not only my face but my white shirt, I quickly shoved my makeup bag to the side. I looked at myself in the mirror. I went with a simple white, long sleeve sweater and a dark jean jacket. The jean jacket matched the color of my actual jeans. My high-top converses were white and clean. My black ones, on the other hand, weren't so fortunate.

"Yeah, I guess I am." I told her, allowing an extremely minty breath to blow out of my mouth. I winced, with the minty lip balm, mints, and gum I'd been eating all day- was I overdoing it? Probably, but at least my breath will smell good. I quickly looked at my makeup, taking out my abandoned strawberry lip balm. I switched it out for the minty one. If Grayson likes strawberry, then I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

I glanced at the clock, letting out a nervous sigh. Why am I so nervous? We've already been on a date! Two if you count our trip to Trampoline Land, three if you count him helping me sneak out and taking me out for ice cream. I quickly shook my hands and grabbed my purse, deciding that I don't want lumpy pockets for whatever he has planned. He said it should be fun but that I should dress warm.

Suddenly, something hit my window. I opened it to see Grayson standing at the bottom, throwing pebbles. Talk about a Taylor Swift moment; hopefully my father won't ban him from seeing me, even though he seems close to it. "What do you want Romeo?"

He grinned at me, his eyes taking in my shiny, curled hair and my seemingly natural face. "You look beautiful."

I stared at him for a moment as my face heated up. Great, my makeup just might burn off in his presence. "Thanks."

He smiled at me before twirling around. "What? No compliment for me?"

I laughed, rolling my eyes. "So why are you standing below my window?"

"I didn't want to wake up your parents, so the doorbell wasn't an option. I'm told that I knock too loud, so that wasn't an option either." He told me.

"Texting me wasn't an option, either?" I asked, raising my cell phone. He gave me a sheepish look while I rolled my eyes. "Meet me in the front of the house."

Giving me a quick nod, he jogged towards the front of the house while I gave myself one last onceover before grabbing my purse and jacket. The sun was barely in the sky when I walked outside. I don't know why he rescheduled the date from noon all the way until 7:30 in the morning. I had to wake up at 5 AM, but I'm not complaining; I get to spend time with him and that's good enough for me. Glad I grabbed a thicker jacket; I stuffed my arms into it, shivering once the cold air nipped at my cheeks.

"Why the early commute?" I asked him when I reached the bottom of the stairs where he was waiting patiently. I began to lock the door of my house, making sure I tuck the key away in my pocket.

"What are you? The FBI?" He questioned as we walked towards the car.

A few cars were out on the road but not many people worked on Saturday mornings, or at least this early. I know my mother does but she wasn't awake when I got up. "No, I'm a girl being held hostage."

"From what I remember, you willingly walked into my arms." He told me, smirking cockily.

"I didn't walk into your arms." I reminded, zipping up my jacket. I noticed him shivering slightly. He needs to zip up his jacket.

"Oh that's right; that would be a hug- which you're too rude to give me." He told me, crossing his arms over his chest.

I snorted as my heart hammered in my chest. It's just a hug! "And why would I hug you?"