Chapter 27: Hot Tamale, the story of Grayson Carter, written by Audrey Peters

Chapter 27: Hot Tamale, the story of Grayson Carter, written by Audrey Peters

I nervously bounced around, looking at my phone for the time. It was barely four o’clock and I was ready, stuffing my phone and keys into my purse. I rarely use the purse; in fact, I had to dig it out of my closet. In the purse were the tickets, too, they were shoved deep into my wallet. We need to have an early departure if we want to be home by ten thirty.

I walked downstairs and smiled at my mom, earning a raised eyebrow from her. “Is that the cashmere sweater that you haven’t used since last year? And a pair of nice, non-worn jeans? A purse? And actual shoes rather than your ratty sneakers? Is there something going on that I should know about?”

“I have a date.” I told her as I sat down on the stool at the breakfast bar. My mother leaned over, a cup of coffee in her hands as she looked at me.

“With who?” She asked. I know that she’s still aware of my crush on her best friend’s son because she constantly brings it up. What makes her believe that I don’t have a date with him? Other than the fact that he’s out of my league.

“Who else? Grayson, mom.” I told her as I spun slightly in the stool, perching my head on my entwined hands.

“Where are you two going?” She asked me and I laughed, shaking my head.

“I’m not telling you. I’m not telling anyone.” I told her, causing her to cross her arms over her chest.

“You should tell me if you want to go.” She told me, pasting on a smirk. I sighed, leaning over and whispering the secret location in her ear. She smiled at me. “Who came up with that?”

I gasped, shaking my head slowly. “I’m surprised at the small amount of creativity you assume I have. I came up with it, mother.”

“Isn’t that an hour drive?” She asked me. I nodded, tapping my fingers along the granite breakfast bar. “And how long do you plan to be there?”

“Two hours, plus an hour for dinner.” I smiled shyly.

“That’s five hours. I expect that you’re going to be home by nine?” She asked me.

I shook my head, pursing my lips. “I wanted to go out for ice cream, too.”

“And how long will that take?” She asked me amusedly.

I pursed my lips. “An hour?” I asked.

She nodded. “Ten?”

“Thirty?” I asked her.

“Ten thirty, then.” She nodded before sipping her soda. I smiled and nodded, already thinking about the date in my mind. I hope he likes it. If he likes it, then I’ll be satisfied. “You’re serious about this date, aren’t you?”

I nodded. “This might be our last date.” I muttered. “Might as well make it memorable.”

She snorted. “You’re overdramatic.”

“I like to call it being realistic.” I told her as I stood up, putting my phone back in my purse. “Now if you’ll excuse me, my date is ready and I’m going to go pick him up. Tell dad not to go all crazy if I get home late, will ya?”

My mother nodded, laughing lightly. “Did you forget he’s at a monster truck convention with your uncle?”

I awkwardly laughed, disappointed in myself about not knowing the whereabouts of my own father. “Yeah, totally, it just slipped my mind, you know?”

My mother laughed, shaking her head. “Whatever you say, I love you.”

“I love you too, mom.” I told her as I opened the door and stepped out into the chilly weather. Rushing over towards my car, I started it, driving down the street to Grayson’s house. I honked the horn loudly, watching as he exited his house, his mother behind him giving me a discreet thumbs up as she placed a pan of food on the table for her husband.