Chapter 29: I can't even recall her name...

Staring at the clock, I urged for the class to be over. We had three minutes left and the teacher was still going on and on about the review for our test coming up. I already studied this material last night, knowing that I'd be totally zoned out during the class. It seems as if I was right. Once the bell rang, I darted out of the door, my bag already in my hand. I practically sprinted to the car. Ms. Janie gave us permission to take the day off of work, claiming that she could handle the little devi- kids. I gratefully accepted, planning to hang out with my friends. I just hope they don't invite the guys last minute.

I got into my car and drove towards my house, planning on showering and getting ready alone. The girls were getting ready at their own houses, too; seeing as we were all meeting at one place in less than two hours, there wasn't enough time to go to my house or Sandra's, or Lola's. I slung open the doors of my closet, contemplating a possible outfit. If it were warmer, I would wear a short sleeved shirt, my vest, and a pair of shorts but because it was winter, and the weather was in the low forties- high thirties, I was forced to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt, not that I was complaining.

I sighed, rubbing my tired eyes. My father came home last night and rather than turning to bed like I would on a normal Tuesday night, my father forced me to stay awake so he could tell me and my mother all about his adventures while on his mini vacation. He droned on for an hour, just talking about the car show while I dozed at the table. He finally let me go to my room at two o'clock, and I only got four hours of sleep- which obviously isn't enough.

I planned on going to sleep early today and sleeping in this Wednesday, which was a major staff meeting for all of Rodencia schools, but the moment it was announced in class that there wasn't any school on Wednesday, Grayson wriggled his eyes at me before texting me about Carson's plans to hang out as a group. I decided that going to sleep early wasn't as important as hanging out with my friends. At least I'll be able to sleep in! Plus I have no work tomorrow, thanks to the staff meeting!

Running a brush through my hair, I absentmindedly made faces in the mirror, nearly shrieking in surprise as a knock sounded against my door. Putting the brush down, I walked over towards the door, swinging it open. "You look nice, Audrey."

I smiled at my father, glancing down at my long sleeved red shirt and black jeans. I was going to wear white but it reminded me too much of Christmas, and we're not close enough to that holiday to dress in its colors. "Thanks, dad, what's up?"

I walked back over to my vanity, grabbing the brush and running it through my hair once again, hoping it'd dry in time. "Your mother told me that you and the Carter's boy have something going on, is that right?"

I tilted my head back and groaned, my hands going over my eyes. "Dad, we don't have anything going on." I know it's bad to lie, especially to a parent, but when it's my father- especially my father, it's better to lie. Plus, he knows Grayson- and his parents, and he won't hesitate to go over to Grayson's house and storm into his room, shouting at him to 'back off of his baby girl.'

"Your mother says differently." My father told me, picking up a small trinket off of my dresser before putting it back down. "You can tell me, I won't go over there and yell at him or anything."

I snorted. "For some odd reason, I don't believe you."

"I like that boy; I always knew he'd like you. For some reason, I had a feeling." Oh great, allow my father to explain how he was a psychic when he was my age and knew that his soon-to-be best friend's son would have feelings for his daughter. "Besides, I know you like him. Your mother told me."

I shrugged. "Well, it doesn't really matter. I'm over him." Maybe he'll believe me.

"Your mother told me about how you guys kissed... three times." My father explained and I nearly choked on my spit. Who told her about that?