Chapter 14: The Annoying Gnat

I looked around to make sure nobody was watching me. I quickly scribbled on the bright blue index card.

I want to talk to you. Meet me in the gym at 1:20. –Darling

I couldn’t help but wonder how many people he calls darling. I hope I’m the only one because if not, this situation can be embarrassing. I slid the note card through the slot in his locker. I smirked before running back upstairs to class.

~~~

During lunch time, I sat next to Grayson. He kept sending me curious glances but I avoided his gaze. Ten minutes before lunch ended, I stood up and left, making sure Grayson wasn’t following me. I went to my locker and grabbed my water gun, running to the bathroom and filling it up with water. I grabbed the smaller ones from my bag and filled them up before carefully placing them back into my bag. I exited the bathroom the moment the bell rang and I smirked before running upstairs. 

I was anxious to see what Grayson would do. When the clock struck 1:10, I received a text from Kyle. ‘He is going to go to the gym.’

I smirked and raised my hand, catching the substitute by surprise. I was one of five kids who decided to stay in class. I was thankful that Mr. Edgewood wasn’t here or else I wouldn’t be able to leave the class. I was going to leave the class earlier but I couldn’t have dealt with seeing Grayson and having him try and talk to me in the hallways; I couldn’t just yank out the water gun in the hallway.

“Yes?” She asked and I pursed my lips.

“I can’t really concentrate; may I go to the library and finish my work?” I smiled at her and she nodded.

“I’ll write your name down." After telling her my name, I grabbed my bag and left. I tried to run to the gym but I was too nervous that my water gun was going to spill and it’d ruin the items in my bag. Once I reached the gym, I took my mini water guns and put them in my back pockets, hoping that they wouldn’t fall out. I took the larger one and held it behind my back, leaving my other arm awkwardly dangling at my side. I ran over to the middle of the gym.

I anxiously waited in the gymnasium, anticipating Grayson’s arrival. I looked over to see Lola nodding her head wildly on the stairs. That means he’s coming. She dived into the equipment room and I stood there, trying not to look suspicious. When Grayson entered the gym, I noticed that his uniform tie was tucked into his pocket rather than around his neck.

“Audrey?” So I am the only one that he calls Darling. “You wanted to talk to me?”

I nodded, glancing towards the equipment room where Lola, Sandra, and Carson stood. Kyle was peeking in the entrance where Grayson just entered. I nodded. “I do.”

He quirked an eyebrow, rocking back and forth on his feet. “Aren’t you skipping class?”

“Substitute,” I shrugged and he nodded.

“So, what did you want to talk about?” he asked and I internally started to worry. I didn’t come up with a topic earlier; I didn’t plan on being asked this question.

“I found this note and I wanted you to explain it," I told him with a curious look on my face. He furrowed his eyebrows. I brought my hand that was gripping the water gun forward and his eyes widened.

Instead of letting him say something, I let the water spray him, soaking his clothes. He whimpered as he tried to block the water but I moved the water gun around, allowing it to shoot him all over. In an attempt to get it away from me, he went to walk forward but slipped and fell, landing in a heap on the floor.