Chapter Eleven

It was around Freddy's third birthday when I decided to move out of my family home. The gallery was paying me good money for exhibitions so I could afford to start renting an apartment in the city. I was nineteen years old and knew that I had to get my life in order and stop depending on my mum and Tom all the time. I knew it wasn't fair on them to have to help raise Fred, no matter how many times that claimed it was okay, I knew it wasn't.

As the years went on, Freddy started to look more and more like Kyle. That made it harder for me to pretend that I was okay. Fred had his eyes and his heart. In the beginning, Freddy didn't ask about who his father was. To him, a father was something only seen in the movies, they weren't apart of real life. Some people have them, some people don't. That changed quickly, but I'll get to that.

As for me, I was doing well for myself, I really thought I was getting over what happened between Kyle and I, but then I was sent back to Beverly hills. It was just after Freddy's fifth birthday, I was twenty-one. I had Kyle's number saved on my phone and thought there was no harm in calling him to say hello. I told him that I was in town and he told me to come over - so I did.

I was standing in front of Kyle's apartment when I changed my mind. I thought this was crazy and that I was being an idiot. So I turned around and was about to bolt down the sidewalk when I heard his cry.

"Lexi" I turned to see Kyle who wore dark jeans and a grey sweater.

Kyle was twenty-two. I stood there just analysing every inch of his face. I barely recognize him any more. So much time has passed. The kid from my past is there in there somewhere. I knew he was.

"Kyle" I smiled then all my worries went away.

And just like that, I was back under his spell.

"I'm so glad you're back in town" Kyle admitted, "three years is a long time"

"Yeah, it is" I sigh.

"Kyle" A voice called from the front of his apartment.

Kyle turned his head and grinned.

"Nat, come over here and meet Lexi," he said before looking back over to me, "Lex, this is my girlfriend, Natalia"

My eyes were wide and still as the sky turned grey. The beautiful blond stood next to him in a black mini skirt and a red tank top.

My smile dropped, I thought I was over him and what happened but seeing him with her says differently.

What am I even doing here? Move on Lexi, let Kyle live his life. Stop trying to force a fantasy. Because that's what I was trying to do, right? Force a fantasy? Trying to create a perfect world where I hadn't let Kyle go. Trying so desperately to hold on to the past.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you" she smiled, dimples on both cheeks.

"Same here" I forced a smile and nodded uncomfortably.

The three of us went out for lunch that day. We went to a local restaurant. While Kyle went to the men's room Natalia and I got to talking.

"So you and Kyle go way back?" She started.

"Since kindergarten, best friends through school," I tell her, "does he never talks about me?"

"Never" Natalia shook her head "when you called, he told me that you two were just old friends"

"Right" I nodded.

After lunch, Natalia had to leave for work, leaving Kyle and I alone. We decided to go for a walk around the park.

"She seems nice," I told him as the sun above began to shine.

"Yeah, she is" Kyle agreed. "We've been together sixteen months" his eyes were focused on his shoes.

"Seems serious" I slid my hands into the pockets of my jacket. "Does she know that we used to..." I started.

"No" Kyle responded quickly. "I'm not hiding it from her if that's what your thinking"

"Then what are you doing?" I folded my arms.

"Nothing, it just hasn't come up...that's all" he shrugged.

But lies catch up with you eventually, they always do. No matter how small or insignificant they seem at the time.

"Okay," I nodded.

I broke up with him via a phone call and convinced him that I couldn't handle long distance and that I was hung up on someone else; when in reality it was because it became too hard for me to lie to him about Freddy.

I don't think Kyle ever got over what happened between us. I think the pain and heartache I caused stayed with Kyle through every relationship, poisoning his mind, confidence and self-esteem.

Kyle took me to the airport a few days later. The more time that I spent with Kyle, the more similarities I saw between him and Freddy.

"Thanks, Kyle" I hugged my best friend as we stood in the middle of the airport.

"Whenever you're in town" he slowly pulled away "you know I love to see you"

I nodded before slowly waving him goodbye.

I had hoped that that would be the last time that I had to see Kyle for the rest of my life. Little did I know that I had to return to Beverley hills sooner then I thought and we I did, everything would change.

-----------------------------

Hi all,

What do you think of the story so far?
Please let me know your thoughts <3

Please VOTE if you enjoyed this chapter!

Happy reading!!

- Rose xx