Chapter Six ~ Badass Ninja Warrior.

Ava Chance.

"Are we almost there?"

"For the millionth time; maybe."

"That's not even a real answer!" Furious, I jumped from my seat, resulting in my seat belt almost choking me to death.

"I never took you as the impatient type, Kitty."

"I never took you as the impatient type," I mimicked in a high squeal. "Well I am, when for all I know I could be driving into my own death."

"Awe, Kitty. You know me better than that," he mocked hurt. "I would at least make your death a bit more...creative."

"Oh how commendable of you."

"Commendable?"

"What? I like big words."

"I hope that's not the only thing you like big," he muttered.

Minutes later we were beginning to enter the bad side of town where druggies, the homeless, and gangs hung around. Graffiti, rundown buildings, and street fights were all around us as we drove.

Never had I been allowed or wanted to go down these streets. They were far too dangerous for my liking. Plus, with my sense of direction, I would probably end up lost and kidnapped in less than an hour.

My grandma would never allow myself down here, so why was I letting Cooper do so? Why did I feel safe with him in my presence?

Maybe because he saved me from an angry overweight meatball and coach Horney?

"Ava, you look a little pale," Cooper spoke gently, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yeah."

"You know you can tell me."

"I-It's just t-that," I paused to breathe in, "We're in the bad side of town."

Just after I finished my confession, Coopers hand enveloped mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Don't worry Ava, I'll protect you," he spoke, so gently I almost didn't hear, as his eyes held a lot of...passion.

If it wasn't for us pulling up to a rundown gym, I think I would have taken him then and there.

Whoa, where's all this new confidence coming from?

The building was covered in graffiti, just like all the other buildings down here. But the windows were dirty and tinted. The place looked just as bad as the rest, maybe even a little worse.

So what was so special about it that we had to drive a half-an-hour down here for?

I didn't even realize that Cooper had already gotten out and was now holding my door open for me, standing there awkwardly.

"You coming, Shortcake?"

"W-What?" I blinked a few times regaining my composer. "Y-Yeah. Yeah, I'm coming."

And with that, I quickly slid out of my seat.

If it wasn't for how curious I was, I would have probably been wailing my eyes out in embarrassment.

I had to quicken my pace if I wanted to match Cooper's, but I managed as he unlocked the door, letting me in first.

"Ladies first," he said.

As I passed him and his big grin that made most girls fall weak to their knees, I was surprised to feel his hand slap my butt.

"Hey-" I was cut off as he turned the lights on to a freshly polished personal gym.