Chapter 20 ~ The Volturi in a Washington School

Cameron's POV

Jodelle was helping me style my hair for that Alec look, she said it had to be as perfect as it could be; the whole styling thing didn't last long, a couple minutes at most. I fidgeted with my cloak at the doors of the school,

"You'll do fine Alec." Jodelle whispered to me.

"I know," I whispered back, "that's what I am afraid of."

Jodelle and I walked in and took our seats next to the others. The room was very packed, parents in the back. Dakota and Kristen were behind the stage, waiting to play their little make out session; this should be fun.

My eyes started to get slightly irritated because of my contacts; I blinked rapidly to ease myself. People gave me strange looks and the Cullen's were very tense. Then, to my pleasure, the speaker went on and loud moaning could be heard; of course, no one knew what was happening and assumed it was a mishap.

Kellen walked backstage with a puzzled look on his face, followed closely by Robert and Ashley. Everything seemed to stand still but eventually, they came running out with fake-horrified looks; two girls could be heard screaming in the background; my lips curled up and I suppressed a laugh.

"What was back there?" Someone asked.

"You do not want to know." Ashley says breathlessly, her back arched forward; the Cullen's clearly knew that they were faking it, we are 'vampires' after all.

"Well, did you see Janette at least?" I asked, "because I can't find my sister." I said, my eyebrows clumping together with acted worry.

Robert's eyes widened a fraction, then he took a deep breath, and said, "She.. uh... was backstage; I'll tell you that."

"And Bella was back there too." Kellen adds.

I cocked my head to the side slightly, "What were they doing? And I demand an answer; I care about Jane." My eyes seemed to soften.

Ashley, Robert, and Kellen exchanged worried glances as everyone leaned forward to hear the news.

Before they could answer, the doors to the outside burst open, revealing the Volturi in all their glory. Jane's face was twisted into a grimace as well as Caius'; Aro had a sickly sweet smile plastered on his face.

Mackenzie had come with us, we took her off of school, and she was huddled into Nikki; she looked scared to death. Kristen and Dakota poked their heads around the curtain, examining the scene with confused looks that settled into looks of realization.

Peter and Elizabeth were also there, in the back of the room, talking to each other in the corner. When they noticed what had happened, Peter walked up in front of the Volturi, a small smile on his features, "Aro! What a surprise! What are you doing here?" He asked, very puzzled.

Aro looked slightly taken a back, but he refused to show it fully, "Why, you called us." He stated, his eyes scanning the crowd with slight hungry looks.

"No, no; I don't remember calling you Aro," Peter says seriously, "Esme, do you remember calling up the Volturi?"

Elizabeth shook her head, her locks dancing around like leaves in fall, "No; not that I recall anyway. Maybe Jasper or Emmett called them in secret; did you?" She asked, turning to the two in question.

"No ma'am." and a "Nope." was the answer from them; the real Cullen's finally stood up, "We called you Aro." Edward said, "and I can show you some memories of these look-alikes; if you'd prefer." Aro gave a curt nod and held out his hand.

Everyone else seemed to evacuate the area slowly, leaving us, the Cullen's and the Volturi. Dakota, Kristen, Ashley, Kellen, and Robert sat down in their seats as Edward's hand met Aro's and I stiffened slightly, Jodelle tracing circles on my arm.

After a few moments, Aro's eyes averted to us - all our backs turned towards him - than back at Edward's, "My, my, don't we have a problem?"

His steps were light and delicate; Taylor and Booboo had their headphones plugged in; this technically wasn't their fight, the Volturi never saw the shape shifters in human form.

"You all, get in a line." Aro demanded; we knew there was no fighting it, but if possible, we would run for it. Dakota and I pulled up our hoods, the Volturi crest hidden under the cloak we wore.

Mackenzie ran over to Kristen and Robert, holding both of their hands in fear and I watched with fake curiosity; truthfully, most vampires can't remember that far back into their memories to see themselves as a child, it was very intriguing.

To my utter displeasure, Aro approached Dakota and I first, "Take off you hoods; this is just for examination."

Cautiously, I threw off my hood, my facial expressions hard to read. My chin was now slightly tilted upward and the cloak seemed to separate even more; the Volturi crest gleamed against my chest.

Aro looked slightly taken aback at the sight of the both of us, he also looked angered but hid it, "What are your names?" He asked, looking us up and down.

"My name is Alec, and this is my little sister, Jane." I said, gesturing to Dakota, whom was glaring coldly at Aro.

Aro was taken back by the intenseness of Dakota's glare before thinking thoughtfully, no doubt on how to solve the situation of us; or maybe it's on what to drink for lunch.

"May I?" He asked me, gesturing to the palm of my hand that was buried beneath my robe. Cautiously, I lifted my hand and placed it gently onto Aro's, thinking out what happened in Volterra in New Moon, then nothing, then appearing at the step of the 'Cullen's' household with Dakota.

Aro eyed me suspiciously before proceeding on to Kristen, Robert and Mackenzie; he continued what he did to me. "Well then," he started, "this is a very... peculiar sight." Aro said, his red eyes scanning across each and every one of us. I thought he was going to interrogate us, but he didn't and he walked away, with the rest of the Volturi following behind him.

Phew... I thought that would never end.