(1) Zeya's POV

I didn't want to do this, but I had no choice anymore. I held back a sob as I plunged the knife into their stomach. I didn't want it to end like this, but it was the way it had to be. It was their destiny.

It was our destiny.

Falling to their knees, they looked up at me, tears swelling in their eyes.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

***

Three Years Earlier

Zeya's POV

I ran down the hall as fast as I could. The only things that kept me going was the fear boiling in my veins and the sound of footsteps pounding behind me. I turned left, then right, and hit a dead end. I twisted around, but there was no escape. The figure that had been chasing me stood in front of me.

"No! Get away from me, you monster! No!" I cried, backing up against the wall.

I woke up to the low hum of my alarm clock, my eyes searching the wall as I tried to catch my breath. Sitting up, I ran a hand through my coco brown hair.

Am I sweating?

I peered around the room frantically, my thoughts convincing me someone was there; but no. It was just me, alone, in the darkness of my room. The dream was still repeating in my head. I turned to my clock and slammed my palm against the snooze button. It was already noon.

Lying in bed for a moment, I decided I had to get ready; I was going to be late. With a loud groan, I forced myself to get out of bed and into the shower.

The water was warm and it felt soothing against my skin. I found it to be weird that I never wanted to take a shower, but when I was in it, I never wanted to get out.

When I had finished, I dried my hair until it wasn't dripping wet and threw on a skirt before scurrying downstairs.

"Where are you going in such a hurry?" Mom asked as I darted around the kitchen.

"I'm late! I'm meeting some friends for lunch. Sort of a ‘we made it halfway through the year’ party, but I can't find my keys anywhere!" I heard a familiar rattle and whirled around to see them dangling in her hand. She bore a large smile as she continued to jingle them. I laughed and jogged toward her, taking them from her hands and placing a kiss on her sun kissed cheek.

My mom was perfect, which annoyed me. She had a very petite figure and perfectly bronzed skin. Her long, silky, hazel hair reached past her shoulders and her big chestnut eyes always glistened in the light. My mother was gorgeous, but she never went out. She was faithful to my dad, even though he disappeared ten years ago.

"What would you do without me?" She teased.

"I don't know," I smirked, grabbing both my phone and wallet off the counter. "Bye. I'll be back later!" I jogged through the kitchen door, to my old white mustang, and hopped inside. I checked the clock, seeing I was already five minutes late.

After traveling through three red lights, two almost-tickets, and an old lady with road rage, I finally reached the restaurant. I was only about fifteen minutes late. My friends all stood outside in a group, talking amongst themselves. As I pulled into the only spot available, which was right near them, they all stared at me.

"Finally!" Chelsea exclaimed as I got out of my car, flicking one of her golden curls off her shoulder.

"I know, I know! I'm so sorry!"