Chapter 24 ~ Threats

Chapter 24

Rowan shifted on the bed trying to get comfortable. His sleep had been plagued with nightmares of werewolves and worries about Arabella. He didn’t know what to do about her situation. He stared up at the white ceiling and put his arms behind his bed.

Sunlight streamed through the stained glass window falling on the stone floor. His eyes fell on the fireplace and he immediately averted his eyes. Normally by now Arabella would have come in to tend to the fire but ever since yesterday she had avoided him, and he didn’t seek her out. He needed to process the fact that she was a werewolf. He shut his eyes wishing he could get some peace from this ordeal.

There was a knock on his door and Rowan shot up turning his head to the door. It wouldn’t be Arabella, he told himself but he held his breath as the door pushed open and Rose walked in. He let out his held breath and smiled at her.

“Rose,” he greeted. She didn’t reply and shut the door behind herself despite her not asking him if she could come in. “What is it?” he asked curiously, she wasn’t acting like herself and that likely meant she wanted to talk about something important

“I just talked to Eleanor,” Rose answered. Rowan’s eyes widened as he thought of what Eleanor could have told Rose. Did she tell Arabella’s secret?

“Okay?” he said prompting her to go on. She crossed her arms and looked at him sternly. Now he was even more anxious to find out about the point to this visit.

“What did you say to her?” she asked angrily. “She’s different from the last time I talked to her. What did you say to her?”

“Why do you think I had something to do with her acting weirdly?” Rowan asked raising his hands in defence. Rose didn’t know about Arabella but he didn’t want to talk about Eleanor’s feelings towards him either.

“Don’t give me that,” Rose replied. “You and I both know she had feelings for you. It was obvious, at least to me. Luckily Gavin is as oblivious as ever or else he would be angry at you.”

“He never had a chance with Eleanor,” Rowan groaned. “It’s not my fault she likes me. I don’t like her.”

“So that’s what you told her?” Rose sighed. “You could have been gentler with the news.” Rowan shrugged and sat down on his bed.

“I couldn’t have her thinking there was a chance I would like her back later on,” Rowan stated. He couldn’t help but think how much easier it would have been if he had feelings for Eleanor rather than Arabella. At least Eleanor was human and not a creature his family hated and were supposed to kill. He shut his eyes at the thoughts of Arabella.

“Alright,” Rose said softly. “What’s wrong?” Rowan opened his eyes and didn’t say anything. “You can’t lie and tell me nothing’s the matter. I know you and I know when something’s up.”

“I can’t tell you,” Rowan answered.

“Why not?” she inquired curiously but Rowan shook his head. “I’m your sister, I won’t judge you.”

Rowan laughed humorlessly. “You wouldn’t understand,” he said. “It’s my problem and I’ll deal with it. No one else need be involved.”

“You don’t trust me?” Rose said, hurt flashed in her eyes.

“I trust you, just not with this,” Rowan said trying to explain in a way that would spare her feelings. “You don’t trust me with everything either,” he reminded gently and Rose looked down avoiding his eyes. She knew very well what he was talking about. “If you won’t tell me about your secret why should I tell you what I’m dealing with?”