Chapter 20 ~ Masquerade

Chapter 20

Arabella sighed as she glanced down at the recently washed linens. The day was going by slowly. To make matters worse she was certain that’d she’d have to leave the citadel soon and venture off into the forest so she could change into a wolf. She just didn’t know how she would go about it.

She could use her mother as an excuse but Arabella stubbornly refused to consider it after the last time she had spoken to her mother. In the mood her mother was in Arabella didn’t know if she could her mother to back up her story. Perhaps she could say she was going out to collect herbs for Alistair. Satisfied with that plan she picked up the basket from where she had set it.

She had felt the need to take a moment to herself to think things over and so had gone into Alistair’s tower. He was out at the moment seeing to a patient and the quiet of his tower was just what she needed. No one would look for her here unless they really needed her. She brushed her black hair behind her ear and then left the tower. She had to drop off the freshly washed linens in Eleanor’s room so she didn’t forget.

Thoughts of her mother’s threat nagged her as she walked and she bit her lip. She was doing as her mother asked but would her mother carry out the threat regardless? She didn’t know her mother anymore; she wasn’t sure what her mother would do. She was a completely different person.

She moved the basket to her side and held it against her hip with one hand. The other hand pushed open the door to Eleanor’s room and she gasped at sight of Eleanor and Rowan kissing. Surprise and hurt mingled together until she could no longer tell them apart. Her fingers clenched on the woven basket as she pondered her feelings. Somewhere along the line she must have started having feelings for Rowan. What else could explain the waves of emotion washing over her until she felt numb? Her mother was right in warning her away from Rowan, but it had come too late. She had already fallen for him. She couldn’t believe it, her, a werewolf falling for a hunter. That was doomed from the start.

At her entrance they broke apart but by then Arabella had already schooled her features to appear neutral. Rowan’s eyes widened and he looked ashamed at being caught but Eleanor looked happy. The clues clicked together in Arabella’s head. Rowan was the guy Eleanor liked. Arabella felt sick as she remembered that she’d encouraged Eleanor to take matters into her own hands and find out if the guy she liked, liked her back.

“Arabella, don’t you knock?” Eleanor laughed. At this moment her joyfulness irritated Arabella. All she wished was that she’d never walked in on them kissing. It made it hard for her to consider Eleanor a friend and even harder to act like everything was normal and okay.

“Sorry, my Lady,” Arabella replied her eyes downcast. Rowan cleared his throat breaking what would likely have turned into an uncomfortable silence.

“I think I should go,” he said softly. Eleanor smiled and nodded but when Rowan passed her Arabella didn’t even acknowledge him. She just bowed her head slightly to avoid looking at him directly. Rowan sighed softly and left the room.

Eleanor stared at Arabella and Arabella stared back. Feeling uncomfortable standing there with the basket against her hip she walked over and placed it on the stool. She bowed and then walked to the door hoping Eleanor wouldn’t want to talk about what had transpired between her and Rowan.

“Where are you going?” Eleanor asked. Arabella halted and shut her eyes. She took a deep breath before turning to Eleanor. “What have you been up to today?” No, she didn’t want to get into this; she knew they would end up talking about what Eleanor had done today.

Arabella shrugged. “I’ve been busy doing things. I see you’ve been busy too,” she said feeling annoyed that she had to talk to Eleanor.

Eleanor frowned. “I don’t like your tone.” Arabella barely restrained herself from laughing bitterly.