Chapter 11 ~ Introductions

Chapter 11

Arabella had tossed and turned all last night unable to stop worrying about what her mother was doing. Her mother cared about her own safety above all else. Arabella couldn’t imagine what possessed her to return to a place where hunters were looking for werewolves. Deep down a small part of Arabella hoped that her mother was here because she missed her but she knew better than that. Her mother wouldn’t have just left Arabella behind if she cared that much about her.

She rubbed her aching neck as she made her way to the throne room. It was time to serve breakfast to the royal family. Arabella had woken up just in time. Eleanor would likely forgive Arabella for accidently sleeping in but the King would not. He would take her position as a servant away. She snuck into the throne room and avoided Eleanor’s questioning gaze as she made her way to her spot. No one but Eleanor seemed to know anything was wrong, she thought for a moment before her gaze settled on Rowan.

She froze as she met his eyes and realized he suspected something was up. She didn’t look away though. The best approach was to act as if she wasn’t worried about a thing. After all, she was innocent of being a werewolf. Her mother was here, so she would back up Arabella’s claims. Had her mother been interrogated yet? What if her mother said something wrong, something that didn’t support Arabella’s story? Arabella felt sick with worry.

She dug her fingernails into her palms and forced herself to think of some clue that everything hadn’t gone wrong for her. She sighed as she realized that she wouldn’t be here if they thought she was a werewolf. They would have already arrested her and she would have been locked up. That calmed her down and she was able to go on acting normal.

As soon as breakfast was finished Eleanor rose elegantly and left the throne room. Arabella followed after her wondering if she had wrongly predicted Eleanor’s reaction to her sleeping in. Maybe she was mad that Arabella hadn’t been there to help in the morning. Once they were out of sight of everyone leaving the throne room Eleanor spun around and grabbed Arabella’s wrist. Arabella didn’t pull her arm away.

“That was close,” Eleanor hissed quietly her eyes darting around to see if anyone was listening. Arabella sighed. So she wasn’t mad at her. “If you would have been a moment later there would have been repercussions.” Arabella couldn’t stop a small smile from showing on her lips. “I don’t think you get how close that was,” Eleanor whispered sternly. She dropped Arabella’s wrist and spun on her heel with the intent of getting away from her. Arabella stared after her for a moment in disbelief before running to catch up.

“It’s fine,” Arabella said. “I wasn’t late to serve breakfast. I’m sorry I wasn’t there in the morning.” Eleanor huffed and waved her hand dismissively. Moments later she turned to Arabella.

“I’m not mad. I understand you had a busy night yesterday. Although please try and make sure that never comes close to happening again. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“I think you would manage,” Arabella laughed. Eleanor rolled her eyes.

“Oh trust me, I wouldn’t,” she replied. “To think that I would have to get to know a new servant makes me shudder.” Eleanor winked mischievously. “You already know me well. You’re accustomed to my antics and my schemes. A new servant would be clueless.” Eleanor pressed her lips together tightly, fighting a smile.

“Oh yes, how horrible for you,” Arabella said sympathetically. “I would have no job and no money but that is nowhere near as bad as you getting a new servant.” Eleanor nodded.

“I’m glad you understand,” she laughed. “Now when we get back to my room you must tell me what kept you up last night.” Eleanor headed to her room as Arabella dropped her gaze.