Chapter 15 ~ Help

Chapter 15

Rowan frowned as he watched Arabella’s exchange with Alexander. He couldn’t hear what was being said from where he was but he didn’t like it. He didn’t like Alexander, but he didn’t quite know why.

He sighed as he thought of the questions he would be asked by Rose. When Arabella had made her feeble excuse to leave Rowan had felt responsible. He told Rose and Eleanor that he was feeling well and then followed Arabella hoping to catch up to her.

He been about to call after her when he was unable to catch up but her behaviour made him reconsider. She had been acting weird. In a few occasions he had seen her hiding behind a wall as a burly man with copper coloured hair looked back. It didn’t seem normal and so he decided to keep tailing her.

His confusion had grown when he saw her follow the man into a local tavern. That was no place for a girl, he thought. He had never gotten the impression that she was that type of girl. He had stared at the tavern indecisive about whether he should enter. What would Arabella think if she found out that Rowan had followed her? He was willing to bet that she wouldn’t like it.

He sighed again and resigned himself to wait. If she spent too much time in the tavern he would go in after her. If she asked why he was there he would just say because he felt like visiting the tavern. He moved far enough away so that Arabella probably wouldn’t spot him if she came out but so he could still see her. He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall.

He didn’t really understand why he cared so much about what Arabella was up to. All he knew was that he was curious and needed to find out. His life had definitely gotten more complicated since they arrived at the castle. Now instead of just worrying about hunting werewolves he also had to make sure Gavin didn’t seduce Lady Eleanor and find out what a servant girl was doing. Part of him wished for simpler times, the other part was content in staying here. He wasn’t sure what to make of it.

After a while Arabella burst out of the tavern. Rowan stood up once again alert. Arabella had seemed surprised and confused making Rowan wonder what had happened in the tavern.

He watched her head back to the castle and was about to follow when more people exited the tavern. First was the burly man Arabella had followed here, and then was a fit, muscular blond man. Rowan froze as he recognized the third person leaving the tavern, it was Arabella’s mother. Rowan would have believe it if he hadn’t seen her with his own eyes.

His eyes narrowed as he spied on the trio. That was likely who Arabella met. It hadn’t appeared as if she knew her mother was back though. She had followed the one man here and she was extra careful to not be spotted. That meant her mother didn’t tell her everything.

He filed away that information for a later time and crouched down behind a vendor’s stand. The man rolled his eyes and scratched his black beard. Rowan nodded up at him grateful he didn’t give Rowan away. He didn’t know why it was important to stay hidden but he did so anyways.

Finally when he peered out from behind the stand he didn’t see the group of three. He smiled at the vendor and then took off trying to catch up to Arabella. Talking to her before she got to the tavern hadn’t seemed like a good idea but perhaps now he could talk to her.

He scowled as he caught sight of Arabella again. She wasn’t alone. Standing close to her was a guy that looked about her age with blond hair. After a moment Rowan figured out who he was. It was the old childhood friend of Arabella’s.

He watched them for a moment without really knowing why. When their conversation ended and they parted ways Rowan moved at last and began to head back to the castle. He walked slower, no longer filled with the urge to catch up to Arabella. He didn’t care.