Chapter 19 ~ The Unexpected

Chapter 19

Time passed by quickly for Rowan, yet in all that time he hadn’t even caught a glimpse of Arabella. Whether it was because she was avoiding him or fate that that their paths hadn’t crossed he didn’t know. He’d been kept busy doing tasks for his father and the only free time he got was at the start and end of the day. Time he spent alone and in his room. Today was no different. Since the time he’d woken up in the morning he had gotten the task of running around and doing errands. Errands his father said were important but Rowan was sceptical. It likely wasn’t even that important.

Rowan thought back to when he had gotten out of bed to see that there was a fire in the fireplace. The fire crackled prompting him to wonder when Arabella, if it was her, had been in his room. It was strange, the thought of Arabella being in his room while he’d been sleeping. He didn’t quite what to make of it.

As he was finishing picking up the supplies needed he spotted his sister. He waved at her to catch attention before turning back to the man he was bargaining with.

“I’ll give you half the price for the horse treats,” Rowan bartered as Rose walked closer. She crossed her arms as she watched the discussion between Rowan and the stubborn man with black eyes that reflected his soul. Rowan’s lips twitched in amusement at that thought and the man’s beady eyes fixed on Rowan in an icy glare.

“Sure,” he said. Rowan blinked in confusion and narrowed his eyes. “I’ll give you half the amount of horse treats for half the price. His eyes darkened and in that instance they his hair which hung in greasy strands to his shoulders.

Rowan growled and was about to open his mouth to argue further when Rose stepped between them. The greedy man took a step back in surprise and then motioned for her to go away.

“This is a conversation between men, if that’s what this boy is,” he stated to the instant dislike of Rowan and his sister. “You have no place. No right to interfere with matter such as this. Perhaps you should go sew something pretty like a good little girl.” The man just kept opening his big mouth and kept digging himself into a deeper hole.

Rose regarded him with a mixture of pity and distaste. Rowan was glad she wasn’t looking at him like that. A wary look crossed the man’s plain, pale features. He was right to be cautious but it was entirely too late.

“I may be female, but even I know your prices are much too high,” Rose told him calmly. “Come on, Rowan, we can find cheaper stuff elsewhere, or, we can have the King send someone to pick up the stuff the needed supplies.”

The man’s eyes widened and he licked his chapped lips. Rose met Rowan’s eyes and they started walking away. They weren’t far away at all when they heard the man call after them. They paused and looked over their shoulders.

“Wait, you mentioned the King? Are you two part of the family of hunters? I wasn’t aware of that. Perhaps we can work something out?

Rowan smirked as a plan formed in his mind. “How about I pay you a quarter of your originally desired price that you first asked of me. Take it or leave it.”

The man’s eyes bulged. “B-but i-it is worth m-much more than that. “

Rowan shrugged. “Yes but I’ve long grown impatient and I don’t like that you insulted my sister,” he explained. “Take the price I said or don’t. I don’t care anymore.”

The man sighed. “Fine,” he said. “Deal.” As he was packing up the bought supplies the man muttered profanities under his breath but Rowan didn’t try to listen in. He didn’t care. He’d gotten horse treats for cheap and that put him in a good mood, enough of a good mood to overlook the man’s pettiness.