Demons Run (16) Clichés

Demons Run (16)

After parasailing for another fifteen minutes or so, we eventually were pulled back down to the deck.

     We grabbed a quick lunch and by the time it was announced that our luggage was delivered to our cabins, darkness was starting to fall and the Captain's Ball was in a few hours. Servants shuffled toward the ballroom to set up, and we watched as they rushed past us.

     "We should go get ready." said Roman, "I can meet you there."

     "Aren't you worried?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows at him.

     "You're completely safe while onboard." He said, looking down at me, "Captain's a Wiccan. Owes me a few favors."

     We parted ways after that, agreeing to meet at the Ball in two hours. As soon as I was back in my room, I got a shower and washed myself of the days activities. Once I got out, into a bathrobe, and threw my hair into a towel, a new problem had presented itself. I had no formal-wear aside from one pair of heels. All I owned was regular every day clothing and a few night-shirts for the trip. I wasn't expecting to have to do something that required proper dress.

     I strew everything out regardless of this, hoping to find something halfway decent so that maybe I could wing it.

     "No, no, no." I muttered to myself.

     About thirty minutes into this overtly annoying process, I'd abandoned all hope. Then there was a knock on my door.

     "Eve." said Pain quietly, peaking his head into the room, "Is Roman here?"

      "No." I said, shaking my head at the blond haired fae, "He went to get ready. Said he'd meet us at the ball."

     "Okay. Good." said Pain mischievously, walking into my room holding a bulky bag, and Panic following behind him.

      "What's with the bag?" I asked, gesturing to it, "Did you kill someone?"

     Jeez, I really needed to stop joking about that sort of thing. It wasn't even a total impossibility anymore.

     Pain gave me a look of oddity before shaking his head no, "Don't be silly, Evangelina. We got you something."

     I sat back down on the bed among the pile of clothes I'd been fussing over.

      Pain and Panic came over to the bed with the bag in their hands and hoisted it up.

     "What is it?" I asked.

     Pain unzipped the bag and Panic pulled out something made of long black fabric.

     "Something that suits you!" Panic beamed at me, holding up a long black ball gown.

     "Oh my God." I muttered, standing up and taking it gently from his hands, "Where did you guys get this?"

     They both looked at each other sheepishly before shooting me hopeful grins.

     I sighed, "You stole it, didn't you?"

     "They make it so easy though." Pain frowned at me.

     "Easy?" I repeated, "This is a ball gown! You guys didn't even have a bag with you. How did you manage— you know what, never mind."

     "Go put it on." Panic urged, giving me a soft push towards the bathroom.

     The dress was one of the most beautiful and elegant things I'd ever worn. It was strapless and floor-length with a slit up the side that went all the way up to my mid-thigh. It was simple and tasteful, lacking in sparkles and sequins, for which i was slightly surprised, knowing the twins' affinity for shiny things, but I liked the unvarnishment. The only problem was that it was a little bit loose on me. At least they'd been close to my size.