Demons Run (4) The Warning

Demons Run (4)

Roman and I hadn't talked much since he killed the demon woman. We drove at least three states over and there was only one conversation.

     "Hey, Roman, how come we can't just fly to Iraq? Doesn't all this driving just seem a bit unnecessary to you?"

     "Demons don't exactly do well on planes. Even though heaven isn't literally in the clouds, it's territory of the divine, and the angels are still granted the option to strike us both down. Heavenly privileges, I suppose." He had explained, "When we leave the country, we're going by boat."

     "Oh. Flying would be like... Walking on Hallowed ground, but in the air?"

     He cast me a sarcastic look, "For someone of your intellect, you really have a way of dumbing things down." He paused as I scowled, "Yes, Eve, it's like Hallowed ground in the air."

     And that was it.

     We were now at our next stop, a decent sized motel with the name "Black Rose Suites." It was nicer than the last place we stayed by far. The room had clean white carpet with a refrigerator, microwave, futon, and King-sized bed.

     "Do you mind if I shower first?" I asked, stepping toward the bathroom door.

     "That's fine." He said, setting our bags down by the nightstand. He didn't spare me a glance as he kicked off his boots and flopped down onto the bed

     I entered the bathroom and as I peeled off my clothes I could hear Roman flip on the news. I drew back the semi-transparent curtains and stepped in, turning on the water to be as hot as I could withstand.

     I let out a soft sigh as the water drenched me. The shower was definitely a place for thinking, and I had a lot to think about. There were honest to God demons who wanted me dead, and Roman, a demon himself, was keeping me safe from all the evils of our little adventure. Was little adventure even an appropriate phrase anymore? This adventure included out of country travels, demons, angels, master plans, redemption, and even a seventh wonder of the world. No, this was a big adventure.

     Even more of a mystery than the journey itself was my companion. Roman was so confusing and a complete paradox. He was a demon, he wasn't supposed to be good, yet he showed concern for me. Maybe it was just because I'm his only hope, but he still goes out of his way to make sure I'm not hurt.

     His annoyance with Ben also puzzled me. I didn't understand why he was so flustered over a few phone calls. Did he see him as an inconvenience, or did it go deeper than that?

     I also couldn't help but wonder if I could ever go back to normal. Even after our trip to Babylon, the demons might pursue and kill me simply on principle. Besides, when someone draws back the curtains like that for you and shows you what's really out there, you don't ever look at the world the same again. Your perspective is forever altered.

     Deciding that it had been a while, and I should get out before the shower ran cold and there was no hot water for Roman, I cut the water.

     I got out and dried myself off, towel drying my hair before wrapping the towel around my body; my clothes were in the room. With a soft curse, I opened the bathroom door, letting the steam roll out behind me.

     Roman looked up and when he saw that I was only in my towel, he stiffened. A muscle in his jaw jumped, which was oddly enticing to me. His eyes raked over my damp figure hungrily. Hormones flooded throughout my body at his stare and I flushed.