Demons Run (11) Pharzuph: The Second Demon

This chapter is dedicated to my longest reader, the lovely Fuzzy_Muna, she has been so supportive of this story from the very beginning and an absolute angel! I've been meaning to dedicate to her for a while, but thank you so much for all your Demons Run love and support! I had you in mind when I wrote this, so please do enjoy. ♡

Demons Run (11)

Roman and I didn't talk much the next day because of our last little argument. He wasn't being nasty to me anymore, it was just… silence.  

     We'd spent the entire day in the Sierra Grande, only stopping for the occasional restroom break. When my back started to hurt, Roman seemed to notice my discomfort and pulled over to a motel. It was pretty shabby, but I wasn't complaining. I just wanted to shower and get some rest. 

     We went about the usual routine of checking in and then finding our room that was located up a flight of concrete stairs. This room, like all the others, had two queen sized beds and a pullout couch. 

     I sat my bag down on the floor and gave a heavy sigh as I fell back on the bed. 

     Pain mimicked my actions and plopped down on the bed beside me. He turned his face to me and I looked at him curiously.

     "Do you want fast food?"

     It suddenly occurred to me that it had been a while since I ate. It was almost like I was growing less accustomed to food, which didn't really seem quite right. I wasn't hungry for food anymore, I was hungry for things like understanding and knowledge.

     "I guess." I said unsurely.

     "Great!" He shot up off the bed excitedly and looked over to Panic who was already waiting by the door. Neither of them liked being cooped up, which I can understand. From what I gathered, they always roamed pretty freely and did what they pleased since they were faeries. They were able to travel from The Burrow to Earth to Hell, and back to The Burrow. They got bored with motels pretty quickly and it was understandable why.

     Roman came out of the bathroom, toothbrush in his mouth, "What are you two doing?" He asked, muffled by the brush.

     "Going to get food." said Panic as Roman turned around to spit and rinse.

     "You can't leave." He said exasperatedly, stepping back out of the restroom again.

     "But Eve's hungry." Pain pouted. 

     Roman looked down at me to confirm this and I remained silent. I wasn't really hungry, but I knew it was unhealthy to go this long without eating. After a short moment of staring at me he gave a curt nod.

     "Be back within the next fourty-five minutes or less." Roman said concisely. They both gave fervent nods and ducked out the door.

   ...

The twins hadn't returned yet and Roman was growing anxious. He was pacing the room impatiently, muttering curses under his breath. There were dark bags under his eyes that made him appear sleepless. It was a drastic difference from a few hours before.

     "Just sit down, Ro." I tried to soothe him, "I'm sure they just got a little side-tracked is all. You know how they are."

     Roman smacked the hotel's phone off the nightstand and its cord ripped from the wall. I winced and shut my eyes, trying to calm my pounding heart. He was so irritable; these past two days Roman seemed to be taking a turn from cool and collected to volatile and scary.

      "I can't rely on them for anything!" He yelled, "What's the point in keeping them around if all they bring is trouble?"

     "They need us," I reminded him. He looked like he wanted to object this with some smartass remark, but he kept it to himself in the end.