Demons Run (15) Excelsior

Demons Run (15)

I woke up that morning to broad sunshine filtering through the cracks in the curtains and shining on my face. My eyes fluttered open and I looked to the clock next to the bed. We had two hours until we had to board the ship.

    Roman was snoozing soundly in the arm chair and I took a moment to admire him. He was leaned back with the leg rest of the chair pulled up beneath his feet. There was a penguin print blanket draped across him and I couldn't help but smile. His hair was cutely messy, sticking up in odd places, and his mouth was just barely parted.

    The twins were on the other bed, curled up like cats as usual. They always seemed to sleep like this, and it made me wonder what was natural pertaining to sleep back at the burrow.

    I stretched my arms over my head and yawned, sitting up and throwing back the covers. When I got up and peeked out of the curtains I could see hundreds of people shuffling about with all their luggage, presumably ready to board the ship.

    I could hear Roman stirring. His voice was cute and tiredly groggy when he spoke, "What time is it?"

    "About ten." I replied, looking back around at him, "Everyone outside is headed toward the ship."

    "Everyone gets there early," Roman dismissed, "We've got two hours, there's no rush."

    There was no rush, indeed, as we all took our time loitering about the room that morning, taking showers in turn and getting ready for the day as we packed here and there.

    I was finished packing, so I went to the kitchen for a bottled water, and Roman was in the bathroom changing clothes, while the twins were finishing with their bags in the main room

    "Panic, we have to take it." Pain whispered, trying to be quiet but failing. He'd yet to grasp the whole volume thing.

    "Are you sure?" Panic whispered back. What the hell were these two up to?

    I peeked out into the room from the kitchen around the corner to see them both secretively huddled around one of the black bags with their back to where I stood.

    "Yes! This is so cool!" Pain said excitedly.

    "It is! Wait until they see it back at The Burrow!" Panic agreed, "Okay! Let's do it."

    Panic opened the bag up widely and they were struggling with it, "It won't fit."

    They continued struggling with the mystery item and I appeared in the room then.

    "Hey guys, what are you up to?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

    "Nothing!" Pain quickly zipped the backpack up and moved his hands behind his back at the exact same time as Panic, who was grinning nervously.

    "You're terrible liars." I walked over to them and held out my hand. "Whatever you took, put in my hand now."

     It was like dealing with children. I loved kids, but not when they were trapped in the bodies of people taller than me.

    Panic's eyes went wide, "We didn't take anything!" He denied, shaking his head furiously.

    "Panic," I gave him a withering look.

    "E-Eve," He stuttered back, his eye twitching. Not able to withstand my accusing gaze anymore, he quickly closed his eyes.

    "Pain." I said sternly.

    He looked around the room before sighing, "Okay."

    He opened the bag and pulled out a large, hunking phone. It was the corded hotel phone that had been connected to the wall.