Demons Run (3) Bacon Burgers and Murder

Demons Run (3)

The next morning I woke up alone. Very weak daylight was peeking through the crack in the curtains. Had it not been for the clock by my head stating that it was noon, I would have thought it was still fairly early in the morning. Upon further investigation, Roman was nowhere to be seen. I looked around the room with one quick sweep of the eyes before brushing my hair out of my face and getting out of bed.

     There was a change of clothes sitting on the desk. I took them to the bathroom with me and was surprised when they fit me perfectly. Roman had left me a pair of denim shorts, and a thin, red long-sleeved shirt.

     After dressing and running a brush through my hair, I entered the room again. Still no sign of Roman, no note, no nothing. I had a couple of dollars and was thirsty, so I decided to go looking for a vending machine.

     I opened the door to the hotel room and ventured off down the stairs. Suddenly I was thankful for the long-sleeves; there was a chilly wind that seemed to pick up even more as I walked through the breezeway. It looked like there was a chance for rain. Glancing toward the parking lot, I saw the Sierra Grande was still parked in its spot from the night before. He couldn't be far.

     The further I walked, the more weird I felt. I didn't feel weird about being miles away from my home with a demon who looks like an angel. I felt weird that I was comfortable with my situation.

     A Coke machine was at the end of the corridor. I walked over to it and pulled the two or three dollars out of my pocket; the vending machine rejected my first bill, and I let out a soft curse. I kept trying to push the bill into the machine, but it wouldn't take. I slammed my fist against the flimsy plastic and a bottle of Sunkist dropped into the slot. I was going for a Sprite, but that'll do.

     I was bending to grab the fizzy orange drink when I was snatched up by a pair of strong arms and a hand flew over my mouth, dragging me backwards. I screamed but it was no use. I was slammed into the brick wall next to the Pepsi machine and the attacker's forearm was on my throat. When I looked up, I saw Roman's furious silver eyes.

     "Dead." He said simply; the word was spit with vehemence. He was too close to my face for comfort. "If I had been another demon, you would be dead. Not all of them play with their food like Ornias does."

     My heart pounded and I was shaking all over. "I just wanted a drin--"

     "You wait for me." He said sternly, "I will always come back. I will never stay gone long, because I know that'll provide a chance for another demon to come in and hurt you, and that's the last thing that I'm gonna let happen. If I leave a hotel room, you stay in that hotel room. I don't care if you like me, but I need you. And as much as you hate to think, you need me too."

     "Okay." I said, swallowing. I was about to let the conversation go, when I was struck by curiosity. "Where were you, anyway?"

     "I was checking us out. Time to hit the road again." He said. Something about his too-quick answer told me that wasn't all he was doing. I had no reason to think he'd lie to me, other than the fact he was a demon, but it was... well, intuition.

*

We left the hotel a few minutes later and were back on the main road with other vehicles.

     "The clothes fit?" Roman asked, glancing over at me. I absently looked down at the outfit before shaking my head yes.

     "Yeah, perfectly." I said, "When did you get them? How'd you even know my size?"

     "When I brought you home last week and was cleaning you up. I saw your measurements." He said with a smirk, "I made a quick stop a few days later to get some clothes your size. Figured you'd need them for our trip. You're lucky I'm merciful and didn't buy really slutty clothes."

Demons Run On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara