Demons Run (8) Gabriel: The First Angel

Demons Run (8)

Roman's POV

After her question about my brother, Eve dozed off on my chest. She'd stopped shaking now, and was taking soft, deep breaths. I had my arms wrapped around her petite structure and she was curled into me comfortably.

     Eve was so different from anyone I'd ever come in contact with- demons, faeries, and angels included. She always had this look in her eyes, like she knew the answer to all the questions in the universe, yet asked what you thought anyway. I was so used to people, even creatures, judging me for what I'd become. I have done very awful, horrible things, and I make no excuses for myself, but Eve saw past that. She didn't pay attention to the bad parts. She looked at the whole picture.

     Deciding I'd over-stepped my boundaries by still holding her while she slept, I got up to move back to my recliner. As the weight of the mattress caved under my arms, I felt her grab a fistful of my shirt and tug me back down.

     I gave her a look of slight, pleasant shock, but her eyes were closed, so she didn't see me.

     "Stay." Her tired voice croaked.

     "Okay, angel."

     Her mouth tipped into a smile at the pet name and she buried her face into my chest. I stroked her hair.

     I'd never felt so at peace, so... happy. It was a simple sort of happy. I was content. And as much as I had lusted for Eve, watching her curled up next to me, happy to be there, I wanted her in the most innocent sense. I wanted the most cliché sort of thing I could offer her. I wanted to hold her like this... to kiss her... I wanted more than just a mark to show that she was mine.

     She muttered my name in her sleep and gripped the fabric of my shirt tightly.

     I brushed a fallen strand of the beautiful chocolate hair out of her face and smiled as she responded to my touch with a soft sigh. How could I ever leave her once this was over? In our short amount of time together, she had managed to completely draw me in. She had become... well, my whole world.

*

I woke up the next morning feeling a lot more rested than I ever had. Since when did I need sleep? As a demon, I don't even have to sleep, and usually I didn't, to keep an eye out for any signs of dangers, but last night I guess it just sort of happened.

     I glanced over to the clock which told me it was very early in the day.

     I looked at my sleeping position, finding that I had sunk down into the mattress next to Eve; her back was to me and my arm was around her. She looked as peaceful as the night before and I couldn't help the smile that found its way onto my face.

     I shifted and looked to the other side of the room where the twins were still passed out in awkward positions. I'd never seen a faerie as intoxicated as they had been the night before, and it made me curious to see how their hangovers would go.

     I was careful getting out of bed as not to wake Eve. When I got out from under the comforter, she stirred but didn't wake. I slipped on my boots and gave the three of my companions one last look before leaving the room.

     On the way in to the hotel last night, I'd noticed a little drug store on the corner of the strip of road. Since Mulligans probably wasn't open, nor serving breakfast, the drug store was my only option.

     I slipped from the room and inhaled the cool air deeply as I closed the door behind me. I loved fall and winter time. The weather was always just so much nicer to me. I walked down the path that led through the concrete flat and to the stairs. Once I was in the parking lot, I decided to walk to the drug store rather than drive my truck. I'd be in it soon again anyway, so I might as well enjoy the chance to stretch my legs while I still had it.