Demons Run (12) The Deal

Dedicated to Asgardian_goddess for being ridiculously,  amazingly supportive of this book. And just rocking in general. ♡ Thank you c:

This is very short and sort of boring, but it's a filler chapter I needed and it'll prove to be very important later. Just remember this scene's importance near the end of the book! :)

Also, there is a LOT of upcoming drama so I needed to sort of space it out. c:

Elizabeth  x

   ...

Demons Run (12)

I floated from the black oblivion to a room. I wasn't really there. I was an observer who couldn't be seen. It was like being inside of someone else's dream. An entity floating through all the motions. Although it was unfamiliar, I couldn't help but feel as if someone wanted me to see whatever it was I was about to witness.

     The walls inside were made of dark stone, dimly lit by torches with blue flames. Empty benches rose on either side of the room, but ahead, in the highest benches of all, were many shadowy figures. They were whispering in low voices, but when the large door of the room swung shut, an ominous silence fell. 

     A tall, handsome male with dark hair and blue eyes had entered the room. He walked into the center of the floor where he stood under a single spotlight, not at all wavered in his confidence by being put on the spot. He had a sweet-looking face that I somehow felt calmer by looking at. He felt familiar to me.

     In front of him, in the impossibly tall benches, was a semi-circle of strangely alluring men and women I had never seen before. Some were young-looking, some were old-looking, but the one thing they all had in common were stern faces and round stone pendants with square holes in the middle hanging at their necks. They all looked down their noses at him with austere and curious faces.

     "Why do you stand before us today, Gabriel?" A round-faced man with a square jawline and dark beard beard in the stands asked the man in the middle of the room, who I assumed to be Gabriel. 

     "A favor," said Gabriel, "Remove the demon mark from Evangelina, and allow Roman's curse to be lifted." 

     "Gabriel." said the gravelly voice of a middle-aged woman with a sharp blond bob cut, "You are aware that after her death, the soul replacement is irreversible."

     "You've done more for less before." Gabriel pushed, looking up desperately. 

      "Roman is on his way to the city as we speak." said the woman, "He has to seek redemption himself. We cannot interfere in the affairs of—"

     "With all due respect, that is a lie." said Gabriel boldly. The woman was baffled by his audacity, "I have seen you meddle in the affairs of mortals before, and the case of Evangelina Virgo is no different."

     "You are biased!" sputtered a spindly man with wire framed glasses, "You are looking at the matter with clouded judgement."

     "I'm looking at the matter with concern!" Gabriel said crossly. He spoke with such a fervent passion that I could have swore he was close and personal to our situation. That was impossible, though. I'd never met or heard of him, and Roman promised me no more secrets.

      "Why?" said a more mellow voice. It was dangerously beautiful and harmonious, "Do you not believe they will make it to the city?"

     The woman speaking was young looking with long, silky black hair and Asian eyes. Her lips were twisted into a challenging smirk and her dark green eyes glittered with torment.

     "I never said that, Morgana." Gabriel defended, evening the tone of his voice, "I know how cruel your tests can be and I do not wish to subject them to that. They are good people."

     "Our tests are not cruel, they are necessary." Morgana said, her voice slicing through the air like a clean whip, "We do not reward the evil, Gabriel." 

      "Evangelina Virgo is not evil." said Gabriel unwaveringly, "And neither is Roman."

     "Then why is there such issue with allowing us to test them?" Morgana replied, arching one of her brows.

     Gabriel stared up at the woman distastefully, "It was a mere favor to ask."

     "I'll tell you what, Gabriel. I'll make you a deal." said Morgana with a dark smile.

     "What might that be?"

     "If Evangelina and Roman can make the transition to humanity, which given Roman's history I doubt…" She paused, "I will give him my angel grace to cleanse his sins."

     "You are very foolish to offer such a thing." said Gabriel, "They are stronger than you acknowledge."

      My vision faded bit by bit away from the scene and once more into the dark silence of unconsciousness.