Chapter 7 - Reverse psychology.

Chapter 7 – Reverse psychology.

            As I run walk aimlessly around the block, trying to find a familiar road, my phone vibrates in the back of my jean pocket. I see the number as unidentified and I immediately become cautious. I answer the phone and remain silent. I didn’t understand the cop movies where the police answered their phone saying, “Rhodes speaking.” If the person on the phone knows they have the right number, there would be far worse consequences.

            “Anna, this is Abditus.”            

            “Okay.” I didn’t understand how he wanted me to reply. He was confident that this was my number and I was pretty sure that he was going to state his wants in his next sentence.

            “Look, Anna I know that you’ve had a rough time, but I need you to listen to me.” He attempts to reason with me.

            I let out a chuckle at his understatement. “I thought you didn’t want me in the Elite.”

            “Yes, wait no.” He groans. It’s a long story, just let me explain.” He replies.

            “I’m hanging up.” I don’t bother to say no because I know he would only dispute with me even longer.

            “I’m trying to help you.” He shouts at the last second.

            “I can take care of myself.” I hang up and huff out long, shaky breath. I walk past an alley way and contemplate on what I need to do.  As I walk further down and take a left I realize this was actually pretty close to the Elite training ground. At the thought of a familiar place, I find myself walking faster over there. I still felt mixed feelings about this place. Every time I thought about the last time I came here it was full of regret, enmity, and disappointment. I stare at the front door and create an inner debate on whether I should go in or not.

I take my time thinking about the pros and cons of this situation. The chances are slim to none that Abditus would call me for something other than a serious issue. I’m always confident in protecting myself, but with all these injuries I’m not so confident anymore. Then again, going back inside the Elite tower would decimate and ruin every bit of pride I have left. I’m not too keen on going, but I don’t think I have a choice in this anymore. 

"Hey miss?" A voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

I turn around to a guy waving at me. He’s tall and built, your normal junior college student that got a decent amount of scholarship from football. Not extremely muscular, but enough to know that he works out now and then.

He smiles and runs to catch up to where I am, even at my obvious distaste at his friendliness. His appearance itself was a clear indicator that he isn't a werewolf, but his smell made it all the more obvious. There is a strange part in his cologne; it smells as if he had met with several werewolves recently. It was rare that human went near the place of the Elite since it was notorious for a list of horrible deeds. Since humans had no knowledge of werewolves it’s fairly easy for the Elite to set up false rumors and expect the apathetic to accept it. I shake my head at the needless suspicion, he looks pretty harmless.

He pulls out his hand in front of me. I stare at it. There’s an awkward silence that elapses between us, but I make no move to change. It’s somewhat unusual that someone would act so kind without any sort of reason. Everyone wants something. “You're supposed to shake it.” He chuckles, filling in our empty conversation.

"I think I know that," I brazenly reply.

 I grab his hand roughly and he grabs mine. We shake for a second too long so I make a move to pull away.