Chapter 42 - Never Will You Ever

"I feel as if my actions haven't been enough for you," sarcasm leaks through my tone. "Not much time has passed and for me to show you and if you have the patience I suggest you wait. Although sending the Strong Three should've been more than enough evidence for you that I am determined to prove my worthiness."

"You don't respect the people that you rule over. That's more than enough for me to figure that you need to step down." He shouts, over the phone. I inwardly groan and put the phone farther away from my ear, waiting for the telling to die down.

"I reciprocate the feelings that are given to me. You should know that best seeing that you are an alpha out of all people." It was more of a comment than a reprimanding.

He growls and huffs out a grunt in disapproval.

"Why do I feel as if this is more of a prejudice rather than a justified concern of my ruling?" I demand. I felt as if he didn't have a true concern for the people he ruled over and for that his role of an alpha was not appropriate.

All of a sudden, a wind rushes past me and the phone is no longer in my hands. I glare at the shadow at the other side of the bathroom and find Damon shouting on the phone with criticisms and insults topped off with a sprinkle of profanities.

I stare at him in confusion and he takes a glance at me for a second and returns to his little talk. I feel lost as to what to do so I sit down on the edge of the bathtub waiting him to finish. It got so bad to the point I just didn't bother listening to what he was saying. His eyebrows are furrowed making him look him look adorable in a light. It was a new wave of emotions completely to see someone defend me as he was doing right now. I know my life isn't as perfect as I wish it was. The puzzle pieces that I have found have all matched up and given me a path where I have to walk. Although right now through the disputes, heartbreaks and ancient prophecies I was glad I had at least one right person to guide me through it.

Damon nearly crushes my phone as he hangs up and I stop my observing and allow my curiosity to penetrate through. I didn't say anything and neither did he. We spend long moments just staring at each other thinking of different things.

I tilt my head and he does the same. I cross my legs and he jumps onto the counter and strikes a lady like pose and crosses his as well. A smirk appears on my face and I try my best to hold in my laughter. I shake my head at the disbelief of the amount of confidence he had regardless of how much it could embarrass him. When was the last time you saw a guy willingly act like a girly girl?

"Thank you." I smile briefly, sincerity clear in my eyes and my words.

"For what?"

"I don't know. Everything?" Being sentimental was definitely not for me. I take a deep breath and remind myself how important this might be for us. There was officially an 'us.' "I want to say thanks for being there for me and for defending me." My eyes start to fall towards the floor as I wait for Damon's reaction.

I don't find a reaction from him and the embarrassment I feel deepens considerably. I stand up and fixate my eyes towards the door ashamed to see his eyes. As my hand touches the cold knob, a strong pair of arms reaches across my waist.

"You're welcome." Damon answer a bit muffled against my shoulder. I go frigid for a second and Damon's hold immediately loosens by a tenfold. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

I shake my head and relax my muscles. "I'm fine." I turn around and hug him properly. Shock registers in and then he returns the hug back as well. A few moments pass by and then we start talking in that exact position.

"I'm guessing you were eavesdropping."

He chuckles. "I'm pretty sure you would've guessed that a pillow threat for me not to get up wouldn't be enough."

I roll my eyes and grin. "I guess so."

"Decorus is putting you in a pretty bad situation, huh?" He asks, out of nowhere. It seemed as if the question had to origin, but just full of concern.

"It's nothing that I don't deserve." I reply, honesty flowing through my strained voice.

"You don't deserve the pain you're going through. You've went through enough for a lifetime and that's by everyone's standards." He tries to explain to me.

I snuggle my head towards the crook of his neck, not believing his words.

"You won't let someone bring you down, right?" Damon probably already knew the answer and how much pride I had in not allowing others to harm me.

"Never will I ever." I respond.

"Never will you ever." He hums in agreement.

-----------

FYI Never Will I Ever was the title of this book before and I tried to incorporate that into the book. Just saying :) Now it doesn't hold much meaning anymore.