chapter 12

I could hear some people clapping their hands. I push myself off the staff landing back onto the pipe work. Grasping the staff pulling it out of the small crevice quickly, sprinting forward on the pipework, I use the staff to help me turn sharply without skidding and missing the right angle. I smile inwardly as I turn around and do a triple back flip landing right on another intersection. I start to wobble a little after I had landed, falling over on the not so forgiving half of the pipework section. My butt is the first to hit the concrete.

   Scowling I stand back up mentally checking myself again. I not to self that I have no injure. So I go over to my backpack pulling out my pair of running shoes. I slip them on with my awesome tie-dye socks.

I also grab my dog whistle blowing it short two times. That was Midnightstar's signature to be called for. He was my jogging buddy, I smiled, as I noticed him in a few minutes, he had wiggled his way inside through the doggie door they had installed a few weeks ago. I ruffle the tuft of fur on his head. He barks happily, the eyes don’t let up from me. My friend comes back changed for training as well. He’s wearing basketball shorts, running shoes, and a black t-shirt. I nod in approval as we head outside to the local park.

   We enter the park’s walking paths counting down before we were racing each other. I was used to running long distances now that I had pushed myself to at least reach running ten miles in less than 30 minutes. I was so proud of myself. But now we were going to jog a total of ten miles even though I usually do twelve when I don’t have a jogging buddy that is human.

   We jump over other people who are causally walking. People that walk here often are quite used to this by now. But some people still jump or get spooked and yell at us after we had passed them. Midnightstar just dodges them by going around. People snap at me for not having a leash on my mutt. So I have been using a harness on Midnight to make it look like he’s wearing a leash but in fact all there is, is air. The link we have is more mental based.

   I say this because Carmen had given me a charm necklace a few days ago, she told me what many things it could do. It would stay underneath my shirt, and the only downside is that I could not take it off not even for the shower. I was okay with that. One of the stones contacts to my spirit and links it to animals who are willing. Like Midnightstar, Luna, and my dog. I haven’t experimented a lot with this stone though. Nor have I experimented with half of the other stones. The stones are about the size of my pinky nail. Wrapped in a translucent wire that is on a fabric cord. In fact there is a metal piece that most of the stones are attached to.

  Though some of the stones are not touching any of the others for certain reasons that are unknown to me. But there placement all has to do with each individual power they give me. The power is extremely limited. Carmen says that’s because I haven’t figured out what Mania is yet. Once I do I can call upon it without having to use the Mania gathering stone, which is the largest of the stones and is the center of the necklace. It feeds power to all the other stones when they are in use.

   Okay enough of being mentally sidetracked, I smirk to myself. We are finally on the last mile. My friend is a little exhausted; let me rephrase that really exhausted. But we make it to the end and wobble back to the gym. I walk strained a little to the mini fridge pulling out some water; I toss a bottle to my friend. He thanks me and gulps down the water greedily. As do I, we both rub our wrists across our lips at the same time. I had to laugh at that.

 “So how do you like jogging so far with me? Is it too much for ya?” I joked.

 “Nah, I love jogging, I just can’t wait to learn the stuff you were doing earlier.” He smirked.

 “Oh that, that was for a different subject, It’s called entertainment singing I think you’ve seen me practice before.” I joke.

 “Yeah that was really awesome too-- How come you don’t sing in choir anymore, even though it’s a joke or at least our school choir is.”