{Part Six}

I woke up the next morning to my door being swung open, coloring with the door, and a feminine voice with deep bass yelling, "Where the hell were you?". Before I had time to completely register what was happening, my purple blanket was ripped off my body and I was yanked up by my shoulders. I came face to face with the angered face of Yvette; she look as if she hasn't slept. The room seemed to spin, and I leaned over the side of the bed and threw up monger suede shoes. She looked at me with a mixture if expression, ranging from angry to disgusted.

"And you're drunk?" She squealed.

"More like hungover." I palmed my face and stood up. "Could you please stop yelling?"

"I don't know what to do with you. Do you want to end up dead in these streets somewhere?" She questioned. I ignored her, going to my dresser. I opened it, confusion spreading across my face when I saw nothing was in there. I opened another one, nothing in that one either.

"Where are my clothes?" I opened the last one, to only slam it shut. That only hurt me more.

"You're leaving today." Yvette answered me. I looked at her bewildered. "There's a family that wants to adopt you, despite your crap. The Mother was adopted at your age too."

"I don't want to go. Don't I have a choice?"

"You lost that choice when you decided to disappear for two days. They're willing, they're capable, they're here. You're leaving."

I stared at her in shock. I was use to going in and out of foster homes, but this wasn't temporary. If all goes well, this is where I will be for the next ten months of my life. And if they know my past, and still insist on adopting me, I doubt things will easily go bad.

"How long?"

"Thirty minutes." She left out.

I sat in my bed, and eventually fell back on it. The events from last night were all but too clear in my head this morning. From our talk to our argument. I remember the red and green haze that clouded my vision seeing that girl all over him. Even though I saw him pushing her away, it still angered me so. My actions scared me last both. They scared me, because I was no longer in control of myself. An alternate being seemed to take over my actions at that moment....But afterwards, I didn't regret it. I don't regret hitting the girl over the head because it could of killed her- I regret it because it caused the rift between Xavier and me.

~

I sat in a chair next to Yvette and across from the couple 'adopting me'. They didn't look a day over thirty-three, and yet they were ready to take over a practically grown teen. The lady was mocha complexities, with ebony hair that went to her hair cut in a bob. Her eyes were a blueish-green and her lips were full. The guy was dark-skinned, with brown eyes, cut hair, and a goutee. Their smiles sickened me, because they didn't seem genuine. A normal person wouldn't even notice it, but I did.

"These are the Smiths," Yvette started in a calm manner. "Nicole is thirty-two and Rick is thirty-four. They were both adopted around your age, sixteen and seventeen. They live in a gated community an hour and a half away. Nicole is a Nurse Practitioner and Rick is a Real Estate Agent..."

I stopped listening after that. I was not the least bit interested in these peoples life story. Not at all. I didn't have a choice in this though. All I knew was that I wanted Xavier here to hold me close and tell me that he loved me. I wanted him to tell me that everything was going to be okay. But that wasn't going to happen. It wasn't going to happen because I'm so done no one truly wants, just deals with. I know that after two months of scheduled visits, and one to two months of surprise visits, I would be forgotten.

It happens to the best of us.

As Rick and Nicole took my bags to there car, and Yvette answered a phone call in the other room, I remained seated at the table. I stared idly at the table, until I spotted a manila folder in the window sill. Curiosity and a little voice told me to walk over there. Picking it up, I opened the front, and saw it was my file. It was MY history. So my parents have to be somewhere in there, right?

Taking the envelope, I slid it in my backpack just as Yvette and the couple came back in. I pushed my bangs to the side of my face and kept a straight smile on my fade, despite the giddy feeling in my guts. I was going to find out about my parents, whether they want me too or not.

Yvette places both her hands on my shoulders. "This is good for you." She whispered to me, pulling me in her embrace. "You may not see it yet, but it is."

~

We parked in he driveway of a pastel green suburban house with a circular driveway. The outside of the house appeared pretty normal, of not boring. It wasn't until I stepped inside great wealth was displayed. A crystal chandelier was hanging up as soon as you entered the room. Every floor was marble, and every cabinet garnished cherry wood. The walls were pure white. Every piece of furniture was either black Italian leather or white leather. There was a foyer, two living rooms, and a den- all possessed a forty two inch flat screen television.

After the tour of the house I was showed my room on the second floor. It was humongous to the point a wall separated half of it. One half was a beige and tan color with a king bed placed against the wall separating the halts. The bed comforter was a zebra striped pattern, and the frame stretched into a mini dresser. Across from the bed was a entertainment center holding an apple deck and small flat screen TV in the center. On the other side of the wall was a sofa and computer desk, more dressers, and a book case. Hanging from the wall were different colored Chinese style lanterns.

I unpacked my suitcases me realized just how little I have. A majority of my stuff is at Xavier's house, and that's stuff he bought. Hell, this phone I'm carrying is what he bought me. What do I have?

I sat on the bed with my legs crossed as I stared at the closed folder. I couldn't believe I had the answer to all my questions in my lap...and I was afraid to open it. I knew whatever was in this file would change everything. Whatever's in it was the true sense of life-changing. Was I ready for that?

"Autumn!" A soft voice sounded, followed by multiple knocks on the door.

I hastily put the folder on the crevice between the frame and mattress of my bed. "Come in."

She opened the door and walked in, closing it behind her. "Would you rather go out for dinner...or stay here?"

"I'm not hungry."

"Awe..." She sat on the edge of the bed. I followed her movements as she ran her hands to the back of her hair, and then folded her hands in her lap. "I know this is a lot for you to take in. I was your age when I was adopted too. All I wanted, was to be left alone. I shut myself off from everyone, because it felt like I didn't have anyone. It took too long for me to realize I did, and by then, I had already went too far. So...I'm not asking for you to walk around pretending everything is easy, because its not. It'll never be, because two humongous parts of you aren't there. But you have to learn to not make your past, you." I allowed her words to hit the darkest corner of my mind as she walked out. "Dinner'll be ready in an hour. And Sweetie, cutting doesn't help either. We'll get you some help if its needed."