31 - Fancy Dinner - Percy

Before the family could get any closer, Aurelius raised his hand. "Do not come closer just yet, I have to deactivate the statue," he said. I wondered how he would do that but he was Aurelius, he obviously had a plan if he said that aloud.

He pointed at the statue with his index finger and concentrated. After a while he shouted, "Nauthiz!" A symbol burned into the base of the statue. Aurelius motioned for the family to come forward. Warily, the women and girl we had seen earlier, an older girl around our age and a man stepped forward. The man obviously was the father. Their shoulders relaxed when they realized the statue wouldn't attack them.

"What did you do?" the man asked. Aurelius looked at him and the man's breath caught in his throat when he noticed the crown. He slumped to a kneeling position and said, "I'm sorry for my actions, my lord. I didn't know it was you." Aurelius just smiled and said, "Do not worry for I am not cruel. Be at peace and rise. To answer your question, it was a rune, Nauthiz, for containment and resistance. That statue will not hurt any of you again. Please, follow us.

Aurelius walked over to the rest of use and mouthed "Norse family roots". Then he turned around again and said, "Would you like to experience the transportation we like to use?" The little girl, Damara, ran to Aurelius and jumped into his arms. The man cried out in horror and began to apologize but Aurelius cut him off by raising his hand.

"Don't worry, I would never hurt any innocent soul. And please, try to treat us like equals. I hate all the formalities," he said. Damara looked questionably at Aurelius and asked, "Where are your wings?" Her father choked and said, "No man or woman has wings, Damara. Only the King has but he is different."

Aurelius summoned his wings as he stroked her hair. "This world houses many people who don't believe, either because they don't want to or because it sounds too bizarre. Always trust your eyes and instincts, Damara," he said. Damara's father was just staring at Aurelius. It was quite hilarious.

"I wish I had a camera," her mother whispered. It obviously wasn't meant for our ears but we still heard it. Aurelius twitched his fingers and a photo shimmered into view. He closed his eyes in concentration and the picture became real paper. It slowly floated in the wind and landed on the hands of Damara's mother. Sierra smiled reassuringly.

"Thank you," the mother whispered, tears in her eyes. Aurelius smiled at her and brought his free hand down in a swift motion. We dissolved into light.

The next moment we were standing in a forest clearing. The family looked around a little confused. Scratch that, they were really confused. Then I put up our tent. Their eyes were pretty wide at that. "Please, be our guest," Sierra said and walked in. Aurelius stood next to the door, keeping it out like a true gentleman.

When everyone else was inside, Aurelius came in and closed the door and led us into the kitchen. The dinner went really smoothly. Luckily, Azrael and I didn't commit any solecisms. Both Sierra and Aurelius acted according to court etiquette. I wouldn't have known but Azrael told me afterwards.

It looked like they had practiced it together many times, that's how natural it was for them. When we had eaten the meal, which was way fancier than our normal cold pizzas, Aurelius decided to shift from small talk to actually the important things.

"If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know what the normal world knows and talks about us, Mr. Vanilia," Aurelius said. See? Exactly what I said about court etiquette.

Mr. Vanilia nodded, who was now fat more comfortable with us, and said, "It has been a long time since anybody has seen you. The king really misses all of you. After the day our princes vanished and the universe lost its heir everybody has been quite miserable. I of course wasn't alive then. I have only heard the rumors and legends that have traveled throughout the millennia." Aurelius nodded and motioned for him to continue.