21 - The Light Within - Aurelius

I threw a small pebble at the barrier, making sure it really was an energy field. The rock flew back and I smiled to myself. Slowly, I started to make my way towards the glowing see-through wall. I concentrated, and dissolved into light. It was harder now that it was night but still possible as the barrier provided me with just enough light.

I flew through the barrier and landed on the ground. I made sure there was no one in sight and solidified myself. I took the throwing knives from their holsters, ready to do anything to remain silent. Normally I wouldn't kill but this time I didn't want to risk it. I may seem confident and like I know everything but in reality, I am actually terrified. I only act like I have every situation under control to ease the worry of others.

I don't regret leaving Earth, I had already seen every aspect of it and I wanted new adventures. But as I said, this was a new adventure and I definitely didn't want to die here and never get the chance of seeing Sierra again. I wanted to fix this place and restore it to the state it was in before.

As I was saying, I was terrified. It was night and I was on foreign territory. I had no advantages here, not including my training, and the enemies could've had some new technology in their sleeves. Actually, it was probable. This was a high-security place which held the residences of the rich, of course there would be better technology and higher security measures.

I made my way through the city, walking in the shadows. This place was actually really beautiful. Technology wasn't thrown in your face like it was in the suburb. This looked like your regular city from Earth, from the medieval times without the ordure littered everywhere and panicked animals running around.

It was how a medieval city would've looked like if the hygiene was better. I was pretty sure this place looked how it had always looked. I knew there were millions of electric devices around the city. There was one thing in common with electric devices everywhere: blue light. I had picked this skill up quite some time ago actually.

No matter how expensive and advanced they were, every screen gave away very distinguishable light, it had an underlying bluish tint to it. Of course, humans didn't notice it because it was so high on the spectrum, but it still was there. I could sense a lot of that blue light here.

I heard the sound of laughter coming from ahead of me. I silently cursed and hid behind the corner of some random house. As the voices passed, I saw that they were three soldiers. They were boasting about the girls they had taken. My blood ran cold and I would've killed them right there if I didn't sense a presence on my right. I turned to look at it but couldn't see anything since it was in the darkness.

Knowing it could been a trap, I pressed my back against the wall and stared at the opposite wall, using my peripheral vision to see any movement on either side of me. Fortunately, I saw none. I knew I was already pushing my luck but I still started to walk towards the darkness.

I walked for a while before I saw two guards standing in the shadows and a girl, probably a young adult, cowering at their feet. This time I didn't feel any presence near me so I threw my knives. They hit their marks, the vocal cords of the soldiers. This was an old trick I had learned a long time ago. A knife to your vocal cords would kill you quickly and wouldn't allow you to alarm others. Perfect for stealth missions like this.

The girl stumbled back and looked me in horror. I had to admit, I did look like an assassin with the hood covering my head and all. I said, "Don't worry, you're free to go." The girl blinked, nodded frantically and started to run away. I retrieved my knives. In times like this I am happy no liquid sticks to thermoitium. It makes cleaning our weapons so much easier.