28 - An Insight into The Life of Aurelius - Percy

When I knew Aurelius was out of hearing range I turned to Sierra and said, "Seriously? How long will it take for you two to admit your love for each other? You already act like a boyfriend and a girlfriend."

"Shut up," Sierra grumbled under her breath blushing. "You lived with Gabriel for months yet you didn't notice it was her. Heck, they even look the same!" she shot back. Azrael couldn't hold his laughter and he fell on the ground, laughing without a sound coming out. I waved my hand and a ball of water fell on his head. He didn't stop laughing.

Finally, Azrael was able to contain himself enough to speak. "Dude, you need both Khione and Boreas to help with that burn!" he managed to wheeze out. Sierra sent a smirk on my way before making her way upstairs. She probably wanted to see her room after a long time. This had always been our home and still is. The best moments in our lives had happened here. We had also shared our sorrows here too. It's hard to just forget something so important in your life.

I decided to follow the lead of others and walked to upstairs too. In the dome hall, I started to think. Should I really enter her room? She did give me her permission, but I still had my doubts. Gabriel was usually really strict about her belongings and who she trusted them with.

There must've been an important reason for why she now let me in her room. I walked towards the door and put my hand on the door handle. As I was about to twist, the doubts hit me again. I definitely didn't want to make her angry in any way. That would've been a horrible mistake.

"She did give you her permission, you know. She didn't do that accidentally," I heard the voice of Aurelius behind me. I turned around and faced him. "But what if it still was a mistake? What if I break something or..." I didn't get any further because Aurelius interrupted me and said, "If you always keep worrying about such small things then you will never know and those small things will become huge what-ifs. Not knowing something is sometimes a good thing but more often than not you should seek knowledge. She gave you her permission, she gave it to you of all people. She wants you go in there, not me even though I am her brother."

I sighed and said exasperatedly, "Exactly! If it was something important then she would've given you the permission! You are the leader!" Aurelius raised an eyebrow and said, "You really want me to make you watch every single embarrassing moment from your life? Many times have I told you this before, I am not the leader. And some things might not be important mission-wise but they could hold unimaginable value to individuals."

"How would you know? You are all cold and calculative, how could you know anything about sentimental value?" I snapped at him. I knew it was rude but I was getting mad at him. I don't even know why, something about him being always right about stuff and never showing emotion just got on my nerves.

He froze on his place. "You are wrong," he said quietly and waved his hand. A picture of a note shimmered into view. There was a date added on the right bottom half of the image. I recognized it as the day Aurelius and I had sparred and he had read the message Sierra had sent him all those years ago. I read it.

Aurelius,

I am sorry I cannot be there for you right now. I know things haven't gone exactly smoothly these past years and people we held close to our hearts have died. I really wish we had more time but alas, we do not. There are many things I'd like to say and tell you but I cannot do it through this small piece of paper.

You remember that one day we sat on the edge of that cliff and watched the moon? You remember what I told you back then? I will hold on to that promise. One day, I don't know when or how, I will come back to you. You know I never break my promises. I know you don't either.