1 - The Dream - Percy

I laid in the middle of a large forest clearing, trees rustling softly under the weight of birds, squirrels and other small animals. It was a quiet night and the full Moon shone up in the sky. Lying there I also noticed that the air was unnaturally clean, there was no trace of pollution. Even the stars were clear like there was no cities near to disturb the fabric or night sky. Everything was peaceful and etheric, like there was no worry in the world. Even though the soft grass felt comfortable through my thin shirt I was wearing I had the urge to sit up, like the feeling when you get when someone is staring at you. But this stare felt more like curious and warm, like your kind grandfather would give you after he has found you in a place you shouldn't be in. There wasn't even the smallest hint of evil in this feeling.

Warily I rose up from the ground and took a stance which would allow me to either defend myself or run away if needed. I started walking around the clearing. The trees were green like it was just the beginning of spring and the first leaves would've just came out but clearly that couldn't have been the case since all the flowers and trees were clothed in their magnificent cloaks of foliage. Everything just seemed out of place even though there was a feeling of longing and familiarity in the back of my head, like I should recognize this place.

Slowly the air started shimmering slightly and the silver moonlight seemed to bend towards the middle of the clearing. Animals started to act excitedly and the smaller ones, clearly still children, began jumping around. The beams of light started to circle everything in sight: the trees, rocks, flowers, animals and me. The animals leaned into the touch of this unknown light like it was petting them. It looked like the animals were accustomed to this, like it was a common phenomenon. Out of curiosity I extended my arm and touched one of the beams. A soft and tingling sensation spread through me and brought hope that I've already lost so long ago. The feeling I got could only be described using one word: love. The feeling of being loved, being important to someone, was so strong I thought I could burst any moment now.

A huge wave of light suddenly emitted from the middle of the clearing. When the light hit me, it didn't blind me like I had expected. Turns out I could see just fine through it. The light vanished as fast as it came leaving 5 figures kneeling in a circular formation and the sixth one levitating above them, his arms extended to his sides. He was clearly a male if his tall and lean body was to be trusted. His hands still emitted the same silvery light that has apparently brought these people here. The kneeling figures started to stand up and the man descended from his position a couple of feet above the ground.

"Geez Al, could you be maybe a little more careful next time? I still don't understand how your knees don't give up when you transport yourself," said a male voice which belonged to a man with a black cloak. The man who had just descended enough so his feet were now touching the ground, who apparently was called Al, just chuckled slightly and said, "It's not my fault you do not like light. You are always so gloomy and dark, maybe you should, as one would say, 'brighten up'." The other people just shook their heads slowly and chuckled lightly. "Your jokes are as bad as your cooking, Al. Just because you were born out of pure light doesn't mean your jokes would be as bright! But why are we even here?" asked a girl, or woman, standing next to Al. Al just smiled softly and started to look around until his eyes fell on me.

His eyes were magnificent. They were a gradient of different shades of forest green. The outer rim of his eyes was the darker shade of conifers and the inner rim was the color of the brighter deciduous trees. His eyes also had bright white specks in them. And he looked straight at me only smiling softly. The others looked around in confusion, trying to see what he was seeing. "Uhmm... Al?" the girl who spoke before said. "what are you looking at?" Al reluctantly diverted his gaze from and turned around. If he wasn't cryptic enough already, his next words didn't at least help that case. He only said, "The future" before waving his hand in a circular motion and they all were engulfed in that oddly familiar but yet unknown light. All of a sudden I lost all the sense of direction and started to fall. Right before I hit the ground, I woke up.

Now don't get me wrong, I love this dream. It's not about someone trying to kill me or someone close to me dying in my arms. I don't even wake up sweating! But believe me, when you've seen that same dream a dozen times it starts to get on your nerves no matter how pleasant it is. Especially if it is always the exactly same to the smallest detail.

The first time I saw this dream was on Argo II right after the happening at the Necromanteion in Greece. Even though it was somewhat creepy it still brought me hope of a better future without wars and these stupid conflicts. Even after the second Giant War there were still some conflicts between some rogue monsters and demigods. Nothing major, of course, but still irritating.

A loud banging noise brought me back to reality from my thoughts. A brief glance at my alarm clock and after a couple of colorful curse words I quickly bolted up from my bed and began getting ready for the day. I rarely overslept but I think I just got carried away thinking about my dream.

Yesterday my mom had called me and told me I had to meet her as soon as I could. Apparently, she wanted to hear the whole story from the moment I was kidnapped to the day we had a huge party on Olympus. The one time I had called her on my quest to the land beyond the gods wasn't sufficient enough. Who would've thought. Seriously though, I have missed my mom too and I wouldn't miss the opportunity to meet her again after so long time.

The moment I opened the door of cabin three my face made acquaintance with a pancake. No, it wasn't a blue one either. Somebody had thrown a pancake at my face. I didn't even have to guess who it was when I heard the hysterical laughter of the two sons of Hermes. After quickly evaporating the moisture the pancake had left on my face I started to make my way towards the dining pavilion. Normally I would've maybe thrown that pancake back at them or somehow else gotten revenge but today I didn't have time for that. I was already late.

As I was eating my second blue pancake Nico walked to my lonely table. "I guess we'll see you again after the couple of days. I'm not gonna even pretend and say that I wouldn't miss you. Can't say the same about some other people though," he said with a deep sigh, "I just hope nothing bad will happen while you are gone. Knock on wood." I smiled my trademark lopsided grin, "We are demigods, what did you expect? Our lives are never easy. But now that the two of the biggest threats in the history of gods has been defeated, I have a hunch that we don't have to deal with anything major anytime soon. Where's Annabeth?"

Nico shrugged and said, "Somewhere in Olympus, probably. She asked me to tell you that Athena summoned her to Olympus early this morning. Something about Ares demanding more statues. Nothing new under the sun." I pressed my hands up to my head and groaned. "She has been so busy with Olympus the past few weeks. I don't understand what has gotten into her. Yes, after the Titan War she was busy too but back then she had to redesign the whole city of Olympus and not build only some random statues and temples. I'm just worried about her. She spends barely any time down here anymore. And now I can't help but feel guilty because I'm going to be away for some time and she might need me while I'm gone."

Nico looked at me worriedly and said, "Your loyalty is definitely something else, but I wouldn't worry too much. She'll be just fine. I'll make sur... Oh wait, is that Argus coming towards us? Isn't your mom supposed to come here anytime soon?" I nodded, finished my cup of blue coke and stood up from the bench I was sitting on. "You're right, I better be going. Tell Will I said hi," I said teasingly. Nico blushed and muttered something about hiding skeletons in the Poseidon cabin. Shaking my head, I started heading towards the border of camp.