patients; part three

Buzzz, Buzzzz.

You felt your pager vibrate against your hip, and you almost want to groan. Tobias had been paging you all day, literally, and he always said that he just wanted to see you. It was sweet, too sweet almost.

Since it's the eleventh time today that you've been paged by him, you decide to actually bring him something. Looking at the vending machine, you pondered what he had stated was his favorite snack. You remember him saying, "Anything that is spicy or crunchy is good to me. Jalapeño Cheetos are a perfect combination."

Your eyes searched for the Cheetos, and there they were; only three packages left. Reading below the packaging, the machine had C3; $1.00. Slipping in the money, you purchase the Cheetos– along with a bottle of water– and start walking towards his room.

Walking towards his room, a small laugh escapes you. You've broken so many rules by the way you've been with Tobias. You promised yourself, even when you got the internship, that personal life and feelings would not stand in your way. So, why are you breaking your own rules? Maybe it was bec–

"Doctor y/n! Where the hell have you been?" Doctor Waters snaps you out of your thought, with a rushing voice. "Why did you not answer your page? Mr. Eaton is coding and you go get refreshments? Get yourself together and help me try to save this mans life!"

Tobias is coding.

You drop everything in your hands, running into the room to see more doctors surrounding the hospital bed. Tobias' body is shaking rapidly, his heart rate is out of control. You start to breathe heavily, trying to help. You feel hopeless, helpless, when you hear a sound that brings tears to your eyes.

Beeep... The sound of a flatline.

"Charge to 300, CLEAR!" The electricity shoots through his body, making him jump off the bed. You squeeze your eyes shut, stumbling backwards as the word "Clear" and the sound of his body jumping rings throughout your ears. As the flatline continues, Dr. Andres gives up... no.

"No, no no no." You walk over to his body, placing your hands on his chest and start pushing, desperately trying to start his heart beat back.

"Come on Tobias, come on..." You say, while you continue. The doctors and nurses have looks of pity on their faces, but you don't care. You couldn't just leave him, you couldn't give up on him.

After maybe an hour, you grow very tired, your words slowing down to loud pants.

"Y/n," Uriah says, walking toward you with his eyes full of tears. "come down from there, h-he's gone." You shake your head.

"No. No he's not you all.... you all are just giving up, he's not... he can't..be..."

You breathing gets heavier, and you start full out sobbing with realization. Uriah pulls you down off of Tobias. You cry, soaking Uriah's shirt with your tears. You cry harder when you see the nurses roll Tobias to the morgue.

"He wanted me to give you this if anything went wrong." Uriah's shaking hand opened the cabinet and pulled out an envelope. Handing it to you, he smiles a little bit. He steps outside, leaving you alone in the now empty room. Opening the Envelope, it reads:

Dear Y/N,

You just agreed to go on a date with me after my surgery and honestly, my heart is exploding with joy. I've told you things i have never told anyone– with some exceptions for Uriah. Uriah is my only true family, and hopefully, we will be one day as well. I love you, I've known you for less than a week but I love you. Truly. I hope I don't weird you out. I knew the moment that I saw you walk into this room and introduce yourself that'd I would love you. I knew that I couldn't lose you through the course of these next few days, or weeks. And that's your fault. You made me love you, you made me let you in. Your charisma drew me in, your beautiful smile. Your eyes that sparkle like stars, the way you laugh. Everything about you drives me crazy, you're so perfect. If you're reading this.... something has happened to me. Something that is hurting me more than you. We aren't playing Paper-Rock-Scissors anymore or having late night talks. Something has gone wrong, and whatever that may be, does not remove me from your life. I will always be with you, no matter what. I know you're hurting, I know you're sad. That kills me; knowing that right now you, the one I love, Is in pain. I'm sorry. I'm terribly sorry, I don't want to leave I.. I can't leave. I don't want to leave you. I never wanted to leave you. I know one day we'll meet again, in one way or another. I'm certain we will. I love you, Y/n. Truly . Never forget it, hold on to that.

I'll see you soon. I love you.
Tobias Eaton.

And that's when you really begin to cry. You lost him, the one you loved for only a few days. You close your eyes, imagining his smile and his laugh, only to start crying again.

Because Tobias Eaton was gone.