patients; part two

"You have got to be kidding me!" You say, throwing your head back. Tobias had once again beaten you in paper-rock-scissors. Dr. Waters was inserting a type of medicine into his arm, through his IV, that would be painful. So, paper-rock-scissors seemed like a good distraction.

Tobias laughed. "Give up already, save yourself from more losses." He said, glancing to Uriah with a laugh in his voice. "Yeah y/n, Tobias is quite the master at this game." Dr. Waters looked back from the small cart, looking uncomfortable and a bit irritated.

"Doctor Y/n. May I speak with you for a moment, please?" Doctor Waters guided me outside the room and beside the door frame.

"What's up?" He sighed. "You do know the rules about patients, and how we cannot get our emotions involved right?"

"Of course I do. Am I not a resident here? Why would you think I do not know the rules and guidelines?"

"Well it seems – by the way you're acting – that you like the patient. Is this true?"

"Well of course I like him. He's a nice man and has good humor. I am simply doing this because Dr. Andres requested for me to make him as comfortable as possible here, so that's what I'm trying to do." He thinks for a moment.

"Alright; keep doing your job then Doctor." Dr Waters walked away, leaving you slightly confused. You walked back into Tobias' room to see him talking with Uriah.

"One more," You met his eyes. "let's do it one more time." He smiled, shrugging his shoulders. "Okay. Best two out of three."

You both hit your hands three times before showing off your rock, and he showed his paper. "One for me." He says with a smirk.
You went again, this time with more concentration, and you won! You showed a rock and he showed scissors. You mocked him, imitating his voice by saying "One for me."

"Shut up." He said shaking his head. Okay, y/n. Last chance to win. Be smart, what do you show? You decided. When he showed paper and you showed scissors, you wanted to do a victory dance. All you did was simply give him a confident smile.

A loud, deep gasp was heard throughout the room. Uriah, his jaw almost to the floor, stood up and ran to you. Grabbing your wrist he held it in the air, saying "The new champion, Doctor y/n!" You were all silent for a few seconds before you all started laughing loudly. The laughing went on and you eventually ended up on the side of Tobias' bed holding your side.

Wiping your eyes you said "Oh I can't breathe, Uriah. That was by far the best thing I've seen in a month." Uriah just laughed again.

Looking back to Tobias, he was staring at you. It was to the point of awkwardness, definite awkwardness. "What," you ran your hand over your face. "Is there something in my teeth or something?" He smiled slightly.

"Go on a date with me after my surgery. Please." He said with hope laced in his voice.

No. You are not allowed to be attached to a patient. Those were the rules.

Dr. Waters' claims from earlier were ringing in your ears. Your head was screaming no, to not get too close, but "Yes. I will." was what came out.

His smile was worth the risk of getting too close, though.