Chapter 27

I stared at the black clothes we were designated to wear for what seemed like hours. I placed the black tunic over my bandaged back and placed the black skirt under it. I slipped on my black sandals, wrapped my headband around my forehead in pride and sat on my wheelchair.

When I was first told that I needed a wheelchair, I started freaking out and almost had a panic attack, but it's only temporary. I would be in the wheelchair until my back healed so I wouldn't strain it. Additionally, I had to wear bandages over my eyes after dressing. I heard a knock on my door and heard it open.

"Hotaru, are you ready?" I heard Michi's glum voice asked. I knew this was especially hard for her since Lord Third was her sensei and her own teammate killed him.

"How can anyone be ready?" I mumbled and she sighed. I felt myself roll out of the room and outside. I felt the cold breeze hit my pale, skinny face. Apparently, I had been unconscious for two days, but Michi healed me as much as she could. Medical ninjutsu wasn't her specialty, but she was very good at it. On the way towards the ceremony, Michi stopped rolling me.

"Your team is nearby. Do you want to go with them?" she asked, just like a mother would. I shook my head.

"No thanks. I would rather be with you right now," I replied, which was true. I couldn't let them see me like this. The day before, Naruto and Sakura came over to ask if I wanted to go with them, but I didn't even make an appearance. Michi talked to them instead told them I was asleep. I couldn't let them see my weakened state. They wouldn't even be able to look at me in the eye.

Of course, I knew I couldn't hide from them forever. During the ceremony, they would have to see me. I mean, how do you just miss a girl in a wheelchair with bandages over her eyes? I sighed at my thoughts as we continued to roll. Finally, we came to a stop.

It started pouring outside, soaking our clothes and my bandages. One of the old advisors started the ceremony by introducing the usual: "we are gathered here today to commemorate..."

It angered me a little. Such a great man shouldn't have such a basic introduction, one that everyone gets at their funeral. He deserves so much more than that. Soon enough, my bandages became soaked with more than just rain, but...

Tears.

I know we're not supposed to be crying. Ninja aren't supposed to show emotions, but I couldn't help it. Thankfully, no one can see it thanks to the bandages and rain. I managed to hold in my emotions and take off my bandages for a while. Everything was a blurry mess and my eyes stung, but I needed to see his photo before moving on.

We were all given a white flower which we were supposed to place on an alter. This alter also had a photograph of the Hokage. I managed to make out his wrinkly face and white hair. As soon as I saw it, memories of him appeared in my mind.

The countless times he'd ruffle my hair and tease me about the color. The party he organized for me. The times he'd ask me how I was doing. How he'd congratulate me for my success in the Academy.

And then when my mom died...

He was always there for me. He always checked up on me and watched over me. This man truly cared about the village and its members. After Michi and I placed our flowers, she rolled me down. After everyone placed their flowers, the rain stopped. I blinked a few times.

"The rain...it stopped," I mumbled to Michi. She nodded.

"That's right. Now, let's get home to put on new, clean, and dry bandages for your eyes and back. You're probably sitting in a puddle right now, aren't you?" Michi laughed and I pouted.

"I am, so let's pick up the pace," I told her grumpily. She laughed again, which brought a minuscule smile on my face. Michi was always getting me in a good mood. Her personality was bright and I guess it rubbed off on me.