Chapter 11

When I woke up, I was in a hospital bed. I tried standing up, but I failed miserably, losing my balance as soon as I got up. I tried standing up, but I was too weak and ended up falling again. As I attempted standing up again, the door opened. My and my visitor's eyes widened when we made eye contact.

"Hotaru?"

"Sasuke?"

I blushed and looked away.

"What are you doing here and where am I?" I asked and he sighed.

"Well, after defeating Zabuza and healing me, you passed out from chakra drain and blood loss. You were about to die, so we rushed as quickly as possible to the Leaf and now you're in the hospital," he explained and I nodded slowly as he helped me get up and sit on my bed. He sat down next to me.

"Okay...but why are you here?" I asked again and slightly blushed in embarrassment. He looked away and muttered, "to check up on you," very softly.

"Oh...so the flowers are from you?" I asked, blushing softly. He snorted.

"No, they're from Ino and Sakura." My eyes widened in surprise.

"Really? I thought they hated me...I'll have to thank them later...wait, how long have I been out?"

"About two weeks." My eyes widened again and I sighed.

"Guess I'm still weak, huh..." I mumbled and he scoffed.

"You're not entirely weak. You've gotten stronger, I mean you healed me completely and managed to survive chakra drain and blood loss," he reassured with a microscopic smile.

I returned the small smile back and nodded.

"Thank you," I replied and as soon those words escaped my lips, a nurse walked in with a clipboard in her hand. When she looked up to see me awake and well, she dropped her clipboard and her mouth hung open in awe. She scurried out of the room yelling, "Doctor! Hotaru Hamasaki is awake!"

I tilted my head. "Why is that such a surprise?"

"We all thought you were going to die, and if you didn't wake up in a month, they would cut the cord," Sasuke sighed and my eyes widened. I looked down as a doctor rushed in and shooed Sasuke out of the room. He started a normal check up and told me of my condition.

"Surprisingly enough, you're alright! We all thought you would die, but after a few transfusions and rest, you turned out alright," he explained and I nodded.

"Thank you for healing me!" I bowed my head. "So...when will I be able to leave?"

"You are well enough to be dispatched tomorrow," he replied and I nodded. Once he left the room, I placed my head on my pillow and sighed.

A sudden loud grumble filled the room and I clutched onto my stomach. I was starving. I looked at my body and my eyes widened. I was so thin, it looked a bit unhealthy. I was able to stand up and stumbled into the bathroom. I looked in the mirror. My face was so skinny, my cheekbones were clearly visible.

I need a burger pronto.

I stumbled over to the door and when I tried opening the door, it opened by itself. I fell on top of a person and I turned bright red.

"I'm so sorry!" I apologized to the person. I stood away from the person and saw it was Kakashi-sensei. "Sensei!" I greeted, a hint of surprise present in my voice.

"Hotaru, you are up after all. How are you feeling?" he asked and I nodded.

"I feel fine, I'm just really hungry," I replied and his eye widened at my extremely thin figure.

"I'll tell the nurses to get you something," he offered and I nodded appreciatively. He left the room and returned moments after. He helped me back into bed.

"They were going to bring your food in a few minutes," he told me and I nodded.

"Thanks. What's been going on for these past two weeks?" I asked and he looked up in thought.

"Nothing much...your friends are all worried," he replied and I tilted my head.

"Friends?" I asked and he raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Yes, friends. Like Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke and I. There's also Ino, Shikamaru, Choji, Hinata, Shino, Kiba and Akamaru. (I didn't include Ten-Ten, Neji, or Lee because the Chunin exams haven't happened and they don't know each other yet.) They have all visited you at least twice, even Shikamaru who finds everything a drag," he replied and I slightly smiled.

"Well, I'm happy to know I have friends, and that you're my friend too," I said quietly and at first he was surprised, but he gave me a closed eyed smile.

"You're welcome, Hotaru."

He left the room, and once he did, I sighed and released the breath I didn't know I was holding.

Since when are people friends with me? It's not a bad thing, but it's definitely something I'm not accustomed to...maybe I should learn to love them as they love me?

My thoughts were interrupted by the sudden burst of the door. I raised an eyebrow as two girls pushed each other through the entrance.

"Hotaru! We were told you were awake, how are you feeling?" Sakura asked rather quickly. Ino handed me a bouquet of flowers and I slightly smiled.

"Thanks, I'm feeling great actually. I'm just hungry, but they were going to bring me some food. How is everything in the village?" I replied and they both smiled.

"Everything is great, and thanks to you, Sasuke is around," Ino responded and I tilted my head.

"Me?"

"Yeah, back at the bridge, you healed him completely, so he didn't die," Sakura clarified and I nodded.

"Oh right...you're welcome I guess," I replied sheepishly.

A nurse opened the door and handed me a tray of food.

"When will you be dispatched?" Ino asked and after swallowing a piece of my sandwich, I answered "Tomorrow."

"That's good...well, we should let you eat. See you tomorrow, Hotaru!" Sakura chirped and the two girls left the room. I finished my sandwich and Jello and decided to take a nap. Before I could fall into my deep slumber, the doors opened again and I sighed heavily.

Who could it be this time?

I sat up and my eyes widened to see Naruto, Kiba, Hinata, and Shino there.

"W-what are you guys doing here?" I asked, but it came out more as a whisper.

Naruto grinned. "We heard you woke up, so we came to visit."

Hinata nodded, a small blush on her cheeks. "Y-yes, we were all worried about you, Hotaru." I slightly smiled.

"Hinata's right, we thought you were never going to wake up!" Kiba exclaimed, making me sweatdrop.

"You thought I was going to die?"

"What Kiba's trying to say is that we were afraid to lose you, and we're glad you're back," Shino clarified and I slightly smiled.

"Mhm, mhm," Naruto hummed in agreement, grinning widely. "Well, we'll let you rest. See you tomorrow when you're back out!"

With that, they left. But a thought pondered in my mind. When did I tell them that I would be dispatched tomorrow?