Chapter 20 - His Death

“No!” I cried as Cylak started coughing, blood dripping out of his mouth and chest. Talamaki ran off towards his side. “Cylak! No!” I sobbed as his blood started gushing out onto my hands and clothes. Ezami and Aaron realized what happened, and surrounded them. Tears started to roll down their faces.

"Calia…" He trailed weakly, and I leaned over and almost smashed my lips into his, maybe believing in true love’s kiss from earlier fairy tales. All I did was get his blood in my mouth. "I love you…"

"You can't die, Cylak!" I sobbed as his eyes flitted fast, and I shook my head, shaking him. "Cylak, please!"

"I'm sorry…" He breathed before he fell, his weight on me. He laid lifeless on me, his eyes still open, and I placed my head on his bloody chest, sobbing so much I couldn't stop.

 “Cylak, come back! Come back…” I cried softly. I needed a miracle to bring him back.

Cylak was dead.

I held his motionless body for a while, until it got to the point to where I could start seeing lightning bugs. I closed his eyes softly, knowing I’d never see them again. I released myself from his lifeless body, and stared off towards the Wingless Territory. Both sides stood merged, but there was only one target on my mind.

Uncle Talamaki.

Aaron flew down next to me, somehow knowing I’d do something stupid. “Calia, I know you’re upset, but revenge is not the way! Yes, we’ll all miss Cylak, but your uncle will burn in hell where he belongs. Queen Lufrewop said he couldn’t hurt family. Well, he did. He will know that you’re in pain, and it will cause him pain. Just him knowing that you’re hurt, that’ll be revenge enough.” Aaron said softly, putting a hand on my shoulder.

“I loved him, Aaron.” I choked out, the past tense bringing more tears to my eyes. I could barely keep myself balanced due to the nausea.

“I know. He was all our friends. Oh, I’ll wonder what his mother will say…” Aaron replied sadly.

“I haven’t met his mother.” I said, now looking up into his eyes. “And now, I never plan to. You can go tell her. Cylak won’t die in vain, and he certainly didn’t die for his army to lose.” I said angrily as I took towards the sky, the wings surging in pain, but it was nothing compared to what was in my heart. I conjured fire to surround my entire body, and flew onto the Wingless area, trying to find my uncle. He was nowhere in the area. “Fine. If I can’t kill you, then I’ll kill your army.” I muttered as I flew towards the ground. I flew every which way, killing as many as I could. Eventually they called a retreat. I put out the flame and flew towards my uncle’s castle, but Ezami stopped me as I was heading there.

“You’re crazy!” Ezami screamed, grabbing my arm in midair. “Look at this war. People die. Good people. You can’t take revenge on family. It’ll never work. You’ll be trapped again, and then how will we get you back? There will be another battle to get you back. Then, probably Aaron and I will die, too. Calia, think about it! It’s not worth it!”

I began to sob some more. “Ezami, I can’t. I must get answers. Of all the Winged to kill, he kills Cylak. I have to know why!” I shrieked, not bothering to wipe the tears from my eyes.

“Calia…” Ezami sighed, knowing I was too determined. She gave me a very serious look. “Stay safe. And actually come back this time.”

“I will.” I waved as I flew to Culikwa Castle.

~~~~~~~~~~

After I pushed through the heavy red-and-black door open, I found my uncle talking to some guards over by his throne. Talamaki lifted his head and spotted me.