Chapter 12 - No Necklace and No Luck

I woke up the next morning full of excitement. When I glanced at the clock, it read 7:11. I stood up and took a quick shower, changed into a light-blue dress and blue rose headband. I ate a bowl of Lucky Charms, still surprised on how human the food was, and stretched out my wings. When I glanced at the clock again, it read 7:53.

“Really?” I whined, knowing I still had an hour to kill before Aaron came over. I reached to get my necklace, thinking I could get a head start, but It wasn’t around my neck. How I took a shower and didn’t notice was pretty dumb-blonde of me. I did get something from the Marojas. I rummaged through the drawers, the cabinets, my clothes, my house trying to find it. It had to at least be in the house, right? When I was sure it wasn’t here, I raced over to Cylak’s house and pounded on the door repeatedly.

“What?” Cylak asked rudely, rubbing his eyes and looking like he just woke up.

“Do you know where my necklace is? I can’t find it.” I asked nervously.

Cylak gasped and put a hand over his mouth. “Oh crap. I forgot the necklace is prone to fire. It probably melted.”

“Cylak, I think I would know if it melted around my neck.” I protested stupidly.

“Actually, no. It’s made of a metal called Titalical. Doesn’t stain, doesn’t burn.” He corrected, and I was about to argue, but I think he knew more than me. I tried to think of what Titalical was, but I’ve never heard of it. My face must’ve shown it, because he continued. “Titalical is a metal that is the most valuable, but also the rarest. It’s weak to flame, and other elements as well. That’s why most faeries don’t have them.”

“Great…” I trailed, now not knowing where the heck to search.

“I doubt it would tell you where your Dad was, anyway. He’s been off the radar for fifteen years.”

“Yeah, but it was worth a try.” I replied determiningly.

Cylak sighed and put a hand on my shoulder. “Good luck with that.”

“Thanks.” I muttered as Aaron came by, an hour early. He waved at us, and I waved to Cylak and approached Aaron.

“Hey, Calia.” Aaron greeted. “Ready to go?”

“Yeah.” I smiled as I started to fly. Aaron followed behind me as we flew to the Academy. We stopped right above it and sat down, legs hanging over the ledge.

“Where first?” I asked him, looking over the beautiful land and realizing what a spectacular view this was.

“I think we should check Ramiria Forest first. It’s the place where I would go if I was hiding from something or someone.” He informed, pointing East.

“Why would he hide?” I questioned, glancing over at him.

“I don’t know. If he just disappeared, he would be somewhere where he couldn’t be found. Or he could’ve left to find someone else.”

“Someone else? Who would he look for?”

“I don’t know, but you ask way too many questions.” He gave me the annoyed look, and I turned away from him.

“Sorry, sorry.” I apologized as Aaron motioned me to follow him. We flew for a while, but soon approached a colorful forest. “Not the place I’d hide.” I said as we landed on the ground.

“Yeah, you and me both.” Aaron muttered as we headed into the forest. We walked silently around the forest for a while, but both knew it was taking too long. “Split up.” Aaron suggested, walking left, and I took the hint and walked right. Around an hour later, we met up on the opposite side of the forest.

“Anything?” I called, approaching Aaron. He shook his head.

“Nothing.” Aaron said, reaching me.

“Damn.” I muttered, trying to think of a new idea. “Well, his Magic was Water, so do you think he’d hang out by the river?”

“Hulinya Waterfall!” Aaron exclaimed. “Since the graveyard with his wife is there, and his Magic is Water, that’s where he should be!”

“Or he hangs out by the Fire Entrance to throw everybody off.” I suggested, throwing it out there.

“I wouldn’t think he’d do that. He’d probably hang out where there’s food, since he already has the water.”

“Okay… Where would that be?”

“I don’t know…”

“Well, I asked Queen Lufrewop all she knew, so it’s probably just going to be a random search from here on out.” I informed, and he sighed.

“Great…” Aaron trailed as we took to the sky again.

We searched in random directions and places, such as forests, lakes, waterfalls, fields, plains, caves, and abandoned buildings. We stopped by Downtown to see if anyone was hiding mysteriously, like a fake identity. Soon enough, we searched everywhere in Tanyela but Wingless Territory.

“You don’t think he’d be in Wingless Territory, would you?” I questioned him, almost ready to give up.

“I wouldn’t think so. If he was smart he’d still be in Winged, unless he has a really freaking good disguise.”

“How would you know?” I snapped, somehow mad. “He’s not your Dad, you don’t know that.”

“I’ve lived here longer, and understand faeries more. I just know these things.” He shot back, and I shut up for a couple seconds.

I gasped, more ideas coming to my head. “Do you think he could’ve gone to Earth?” We both paused for a moment. I’ve never really thought of that. Did he live out in Earth somewhere? Did he have a life outside of Tanyela? Did he know about me on Earth, so he watched me secretly? Did I see him every day and not even know he existed? “The Queen said they didn’t have lives out there, but they’ve visited.” I explained, and he started at me, wide-eyed.

“Holy crap. We can’t search the entire Earth! That’s insane.” Aaron replied, crossing his arms. “I’m not doing it.”

“We don’t have to. He should still be in Tanyela, right? I mean, that’s where he met my Mom, I think. He can’t leave that behind.” I reasoned, hoping it was legitimate enough.

“Or he met your Mom out in Earth and is out there in Earth.” He pointed out.

“Ugh, don’t remind me.” I groaned as he started laughing.

“Come on, it’s getting late. We should get home. Classes are tomorrow.” Aaron said, looking up at the sunset pink sky.

“Yeah.” I agreed. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways towards our houses.

I was sitting at my table, eating a ham-and-cheese sandwich, when the thought kept coming to my mind. Where is my Dad? I doubt I’ll ever know. I closed my eyes to relieve stress, but I fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Calia!” Ezami screamed to me, and I found myself in the same cloudy white area. I knew I had to be dreaming.

“What?” I muttered tiredly. “I have classes tomorrow.”

“No, you don’t. King Talamaki’s army attacked Downtown, and they’re moving north. We fight back tomorrow.” Ezami explained quickly, and I shivered in fear. Queen Lufrewop said it was doubtful they’d attack. And now they did? What’s up with this? “We think they’re going to attack neighborhoods, too. We’re trying to get neighborhoods near Downtown evacuated, but Talamaki’s army fell back after Downtown. We think he’ll attack tomorrow, too.” Ezami explained again.

“Okay. I understand.” I choked out, trying to stop my rapid beating heart.

“Now, I have to go tell everybody else in your neighborhood, so just report to Riveredge tomorrow morning at eight. Okay?”

“Yeah. Thanks, Ezami.” I breathed, and Ezami disappeared.

I woke up after that, and realized where I was, resting on the kitchen table. I stumbled to my bed and laid there wide awake, unable to fall back asleep. I could pretty much guarantee that I would be dead by tomorrow.