Chapter 15 - Pain in Both Worlds

Cylak flew over Downtown and the field I got lost in. He flew to the ground and set me down gently, wrapping his arms around me comfortingly. I felt his lips brush against mine, and I started kissing him back with more force. I groaned as he let go of me to examine my wings. Blood trickled down them, and there were glass shards all over, scattered. I felt something move, and I figured he touched one.

“Tell me if this hurts.” He said as he yanked it out, and I screeched and jumped back.

“Yes, that hurts!” I cried as Cylak showed me the red-stained glass.

“Sorry. Do you want the glass out or not?” He asked, gazing into my eyes.

I hesitated, but nodded. Cylak yanked out another shard. “God damn it!” I screamed, jerking back. “Isn’t there a way with less pain?”

“Not really. Sorry.” Cylak said sympathetically.

Cylak eventually pulled out all the shards, and I was crying and screaming, the pain getting worse and worse. Blood was dripping down from my wings and onto the grass. My clothes were stained, and so were Cylak’s. “There, now was that so bad?” Cylak asked rhetorically as I gave him a cold stare. “Come on, let’s go back to Riveredge.” He said as he picked me up and started to fly.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Calia!” Aaron and Ezami yelled as we landed, and I dropped to my knees. They both gasped at the amount of blood on my wings.

“What happened?” Aaron asked as he helped me to my feet.

“I jumped through glass.” I replied, and they both looked stupidly at me.

“Why?” Ezami asked worriedly.

“To get the hell away from Talamaki.” I shuddered at the thought of him.

“Come on, we’ll fix the wings right up.” Cylak said, changing the subject and moving me along.

We arrived at a white room with lots of beds and medical supplies. Injured faeries occupied most of the beds, most of the injuries from the war. We moved to a bed, and nurses came with lots of cloths and medical tape. Cylak, Aaron, and Ezami wiped off the blood and strapped the medical tape on the wounds.

“That’s better.” Cylak smiled.

“You okay?” Aaron asked, placing his hand on my shoulder.

“Can you fly?” Ezami asked.

“I don’t know.” I muttered, answering both questions. I tried vibrating the wings, but the muscles in my spine brought up a sharp pain. “Ow!” I cried as I collapsed to the bed. Cylak put his arms around me.

“It’s okay, you’ll fly soon.” Cylak reassured me soothingly. “It just needs to heal.” They thanked the nurses and we left, dragging me with them. Aaron flew next to me, but I glared at him, and flew down. We all walked out of the castle. Once we were on ground level, none of us flew. We all walked to my house. They were all being over-protective, because they didn’t want me, or any of them, kidnapped by Talamaki. When we walked inside my house, they all sat in silence and waited for me to explain what happened.

“I was looking for Ezami, and something hit me over the head. I woke up in a dark, cold, stone room. I lit up a finger to look around, but it didn’t help. I had a stupid chain around my ankle. One of Talamaki’s guards came to get me, and I walked out to the throne room. Talamaki told me everything. Everything about my family. Not just my parents. Turns out, Queen Lufrewop is my aunt, and King Talamaki is my uncle, and I have a twin brother…”

“You have a brother?” Cylak asked, cutting me off. “Who?”

I shrugged. “He wouldn’t tell me. He said it was obvious.”